Intro

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

I see a good number of people are reading the fruit tree forum and it is less than 24 hrs old! Hopefully everyone can bring their questions and expertise. As you climb on board tell us a bit about yourself and what you grow.
I'm Dennis in Vancouver Canada, I am collecting fruit trees and bushes/vines as I am moving into a great agricultural area with nice soil and I want to be prepared. Most of my trees are in pots, the bushes are in the soil. I have gone to hort school however I am definately NOT an expert on these, but am keen to learn. I have 5-6 apple trees, 1 "4 way" apple, 4 grape vines, 5 blueberies, 2 pears, 2 peaches, 2 plums and a fig tree. Possibly more that I've forgotten. I also collect Brugmansias (40+), ginkgos(12+) and other interesting plants trees and shrubs.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi y'all,Melody here.Most of you know me in the veggie and heirloom forums,and I'm anxious to get this forum up and rolling.

I have a few trees,and would have more if I understood more about taking care of them.

I have 2 semi-dwarf apples...Gravenstein and Stater Fair.I have a semi dwarf Kieffer pear,but lost a dwarf Sekel pear last year to a mysterious blight.

I also have 2 young Heartnut trees that are just getting mature enough to start producing.

I'm in south West Kentucky on 4 acres of great ground,and would love to have more trees and maybe grapes or brambles.
I just don't have a clue as to where to start.

I can help most anyone with tomatoes or veggies...but this is new territory.Gonna enjoy this forum!

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, I am still a newbie, but I am so enjoying Dave's Garden.

We bought this house almost 3 years ago and I have revived one neglected and overgrown Lemon. We are now getting fruit all year round. I also had to cut a full size navel back by half because the whole top of the tree was dead or dying. This year I got my first real crop. My tree was loaded with smallish fruit that were incredibly sweet. We fed the multitudes!

I am working on my giant old plum that I had to beat this year. This tree was also abused and never watered. We will see if the fruit stays on this year. Last year we had 10 plums. Santa Rosa type.

I lost a new baby apple to I think a borer last year, I have a 2 year old nectarine on the side of the house, my borer nectarine in the back (it looks about 3 or 4 but small). I have a new keifer pear back there also. I have a 2.5 year old red peach that is finally flowering this year, also an apricot that has a couple of fruits, it is the same age. I have a dwarf navel I transplanted from a pot, a honey tangerine, one Flame grape and one perilite grape vine that are loaded with fruit. I also have an old grape vine in the back. It seems to want to have fruit this year. I had to prune it back. Lets see, I think that is all.
I don't have a large yard but it is spaced well. Oh, I forgot the mysore banana.

Just wish I had a bigger yard! I am sure I will add more fruit trees. I think eventually with a couple of exceptions, I will have all fruit trees! I feel that if you are going to have trees, they might as well feed you too!! LOL

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

HI all. I am a newbie too...In the past 2 years, I have planted 3 Blueberry Bushes, 2 dwarf Stanley Plum Trees, 2 Patio Peach trees, 2 Dwarf apple trees of an unknown variety, and 2 Grape Vines. I am waiting for 2 Dwarf Pear trees I ordered a while back from Plantranch to add to my collection. So far so good on everything, I have new growth on all except the grape vines. I am trying to keep my garden chemical free, so Im sure I will be in here plenty looking for advice. This is such a helpful site, Im so glad I came upon it...My friends and family are not into gardening at all, they all get this glazed look on their faces whenever I start talking plants, fruits and veges....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...wonder why I didn't see this thread til just now?

I'm shoe-less and sometimes clue-less, but you can call me 'Shoe. I have about 20-something fruit trees ranging from apples, pears, peaches, to cherry, serviceberry, figs, and one persimmon tree.

Prefer organic growing, dwarf trees, and a low-maintenance growing style. (That last part means I don't mind sharing my fruit with some of the bugs if I choose not to spray for some reason or other.)

Be seein' ya'll around!

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi,I'm Jake from Maryland. We raise 2 acres of small fruit,about 200 apple,peach and pear trees,tho the asian pears are coming out this year,1/2 acre of cut flowers and 2 small greenhouses.Put in a commercial kitchen 4 years ago for pies and quick breads.Just retired after 30 years at a food chain.Being doing this on the side for the last 20 years and now we're finally going to be able to concentrate on our own business.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Welcome Jake! You sound like someone we need around here.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Jake! Welcome! Glad to have you here. Come forth and spill your guts!

I bet you have a lot to offer. Hope to see you posting! Thanks for coming forth!

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Jake, nice to have you around! But wish you lived around the corner...

Is that a pie cooking I smell?????

I agree with Melody and Shoe, Welcome Welcome!

Crown King, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi! I'm brand-new to Dave's garden, and only beginning to learn the ropes! Does the fact that the most recent posting to this thread is almost three weeks old mean it's a dead issue?
We have three old and abused pear trees we are trying to bring back and one young peach tree that survived the previous owner's neglect. Speaking prophetically, I have a patch I refer to as "the orchard" where I intend to put in fruit trees over time. Right now, I'm still in the phase of accumulating information and indulging in wishful thinking.
Although I'm now in the Arizona mountains, I was raised in west-cental IL on the Mississippi river bluff. I have a hankering for the fruits of my childhood--persimmons, pawpaws, paper-shell pecans as well as apples, peaches and apricots. I know my climate is suitable, but water availability is uncertain.
I am so glad to have found this terrific resource full of like-minded folk! Hope to hear from you!

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Nice to see you here Salsa, this forum has been slow but there are some really good people here so hopefully in a bit of time it will be bouncing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.