Looking for seed starting propagation hot mat

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive seed propagation hot mat & variable thermostat for my Daughter;'s birthday. Sure, I could give her a heating pad from the pharmacy, but I would rather give her a regular propagation mat, one that holds two seed trays. I bought mine at Charleys Greenhouse way back when it was about $ 70. Now it's double that. Most of what I see are about $ 70 or so. Let me know if anybody knows where I can get a real bargain on a hot mat & thermostat. I'd even go on a used one in working condition at this late stage. Thanks in advance. Buttoneer

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

It's not a regular propagation mat, but I use a waterbed heating mat. I'm not sure how much they cost new, a friend of mine gave me an extra one he had left over. It has heat regulation and, I figure it must be waterproof. It works for me.
Cecelia

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

When I did a search on the Internet for propogation mats, there is a wide range of prices. Some are reasonable and some are outrageous! I finally decided on the propogation mat through Brent and Becky's Bulbs in Virginia. They had the best price! Hope this helps.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Search online for "waterbed heating pads" and you will get several sources for parts for waterbeds. Looks like the mats start at $40 and go up. I may try this next year. $40 is a bargain and there is a thermostat.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Question for all of you out there using a waterbed mat. How do you set it up? As in do you put the tray directly on the mat, or keep it off a certain distance with a metal rack?? Just emptied a waterbed yesterday and this might be a bonus!! Thanks, Legit

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, thanks so much for all the emails & help. I finally found what I was looking for at eBay. A single hot mat for $ 20.51 plus shipping or a double one at $ 34.99 plus shipping. I'm trying to talk the guy into selling me a double one for $ 34.99. Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.