Pictures of progress

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

After removing the old benches and a ton of old pea gravel and soil, making new benches I have begun to move into the greenhouse. I have some of my brugs and my white hybrid marigold along the south wall, along with the amarylis from Adam and Karen.

Thumbnail by Padre
St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Along the north wall I have my coelus plants, some Nepeta transcaucasica and the some of the daylilies waiting to go outside.

Thumbnail by Padre
St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

The old space heater was an electrical hazzard so the electricians replaced it with two new heaters (to supplement the hot water heat). Nice to have friends in high places :-)
I will now start to move more plants out from my room to the house, filling up the center benches.

Thumbnail by Padre
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Padre, your greenhouse is looking great. Good looking plants. I must get some coleus, they have such exotic colors. keep sending pictures. Donna

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Padre, I am amazed at the difference. Your hard work has sure paid off.The GH looks wonderful and so do your plants.
You've done a great job and must be so proud.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

l-o-v-e-l-y!!!!!!!!!! Padre, lookin' good! E.

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Padre, you are a real inspiration!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Everything looks so neat and orderly. You've done an incredible amount of work. Congratulations

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it was a lot of work but well worth it. There is more physical work to be done before it is finished, especially on the forced air intake (cooler unit) but we are operational. I am planning on building a set of shelving running the length of the greenhouse on the north and south walls for seed flats and small plants. You can see the bracket in the end of the house shown in the coleus picture. It will be of aluminum. Now is the time for the beach chair and lemonaide jug :-)

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 8th 1:02 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW, they sure have grown! so happy looking. What are you going to do with them all Padre?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Rent a truck and take them to the NE Round-up :-) Kidding aside, I will use many of them about the two buildings for which I am gardener, give some to the University garden staff in appreciation of the use of their greenhouse, give some to other religious communities, swap/give some to local Dave's Garden members, and last but not least, give some to the residents of the Bronx. What you see is less than half of my brug and datura plants. I also have over 20 varieties of seeds germinating in my room - to be potted up to the paper cups and eventually outside.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

WOW WOW WOW -it looks fabulous darling just fabulous!!!!!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I guess I am "out of the loop." Do you have a nursery or garden center? I mean, in the business. Everything looks great in the picture.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

No business. No garden center. Just a retired ole man with too much time and energy to sit around staring at TV till my eyeballs go square. I saw an opportunity to get involved when the previous gardener, a volunteer, stepped aside and let everything go to seed (weed). I take advantage of opportunities when they occur (unused greenhouse) and now get to play in my new playpen and get to meet a lot of new playmates :-)

When my spousal unit was ill a few years back, we had to sell our house and 11 acres to pay medical bills. We moved into a little cabin that we rented on just 1/2 acre of steep, wooded lot. For several years, I didn't try much to do anything in the yard. But when a bulldozer scar on a steep bank continued to send dirt down our driveway, my spousal unit decided to make a rock garden with little rock walls and terraced up the hill. Now it's my new playpen! He also went down the hill on the other side of the driveway and built a papowawa which stands for PAtio, POnd, WAterfall, and another WAterfall. I don't know how to hyperlink but if you click on my page and then on my threads I started, you will find the papowawa.
Now I'm really enjoying and landscaping the entire property. There is no lawn, just steep ground and shade. I have learned so much about shade plants but I have a few small spots for some sun-loving plants too......

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

I think it's just wonderful, cooperating with God to make the world more beautiful - a flower at a time :-). I'll check out the threads you started after I finish dinner. A good part of my gardens are in partial to full shade. They are my biggest challenge - but I'm not attempting to do everything the first year. I'll be posting in the shade gardens forum later on this spring (if it ever arrives:-)

Brugvalley, Germany(Zone 7b)

Padre, I dont know how young you are...in about 100 years one of the next popes will bless you for all your doings.

Thank you so much for your postings,they brighten my day.

I wish you much success with your plants.

Padre, I can send you some ajuga, which likes dry shade if you want........

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Woodspirit, I would love to get some ajuga plants. I have just the place for them. I'll reimburse you for the postage. I'll send my address by e-mail. Thanks for the offer. Thank you too, Ludger, for the kind words. I'll not tell you how old I am, but I was born in 1930 - so you figure it out :-)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gardening will keep you young Padre. Nothing like spring in the garden watching everything renew itself and grow.

It is funny calling you Padre, Father. My godfather growing up, we lovingly called Padre. He was very close to our family, spending nearly every holiday driving down to the shore to spend with us. I wonder if you ever ran into him? His name was Monsignor Ronald Macdonald, his parish was in Lynbrook N. Y. He would have been much older than you are.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry, Kell. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Msgr. Ronald Macdonald. Yes, watching life renew itself every spring restores the surge of life in gardeners who rejoice with every opening bud. There is no past, there is no future. There is only this moment, face to face with life smiling back at you in a flower.

No more words but big thank you for your words.
Padre, may I tape your words:"There is no past,there is no future.....

I very would like to use these words for an Easter greeting letter. A beloved brugfriend is ill( here in Germany).I am praying for him very much.Your words would help him.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Ludger, To learn to live in the 'eternal now' is to learn to grasp life in its fullness and freshness as it unfolds each moment. This is the only moment we are alive. DeCaussade, a French spiritual writer of the 18th century wrote on the topic in a book called 'Abandonment to Divine Providence'. It is recently translated and shortened with the new title 'The Sacrament of the Present Moment.' This is one of the fruits of sitting in contemplative prayer, or as they call it in Asia, breath awareness as practiced in Zen [Mahayanin Buddhism] or in Vipassana [Theravadin Buddhism]. I will keep your friend in my prayers - and you as well as you bear the pain of compassionate love.

And if I would know that the world will pass tomorrow, I would plant an appletree today.(from Martin Luther)

Padre,thank you so much,I will remember and "use" your words.
Also,it helpes me.

You made my day

Hugs

Ludger

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

:-)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

hey Padre,don't fill it up too much,I plan on giving you some of mine at the NE Roundup.......

Do you have a truck???

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

No, but a small station wagon (subaru with fold down back seats). I can rent a U-Haul trailer if need be :-). By the time of the NERU most of the occupants of the greenhouse will be playing outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.