prairie garden

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have a spare bit of land at the side of my allotment so I thought I would follow trends and plant a prairie garden full of grasses and hardy geraniums as they look so good together. At present I have a mixture of Miscanthus, Stipa Gigantia, Tenuifoloia, Arundinacea, Pennistemmon Moudry and Hordeum Jubatum. Plus the miscanthus that grows to about 8 feet (but I cant remember its name) Can anyone think of any other grasses that are must haves that will look particularly nice? I prefer grasses to be tall though I dont mind a few small ones on the edge.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Have you asked on the grasses and bamboo forum psilo?
For small I love Stipa tennuissima but sounds as if you have most of my ideas already covered

No philomel I havent asked yet as most of them are from US and I wanted a european opinion. Thanks anyway! :))

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

what about boutelouo gracilis,mosquito grass? or melica altissima,panicum capillare (witch grass)
Do put some photos on for us as it grows, so's we can see it develope.

I dont know any of those sue thanks. I will look them up. The other day I was digging up a bed of mixed miscanthus that i had grown from seed last year and planted them in clumps on the bed as well as molinia. It all looks a little bare right now but I will certainly post a picture later on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.