unusual wildlife observation April 6th

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

a Startling ripping apart my new Pulsatillas and taking them to line the nest. I've seen them years ago doing this to Feverfew and other plants. Maybe these are insecticides

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, I've heard they have an in depth knowledge of medicinal/insecticidal plants (take it you are talking about starlings!?) Fascinating and......
Very startling LOLOL

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Did you see the prog on t.v. where the bird was rolling in an ants nest to aggravate the ants to squirt it with formic acid,it was also stretching it's wings out over a smouldering cigarette, pressumably for the same effect, to fumigate it's self.

Yes, amazing aren't they?

sure did.

Startling starlings
:)

very LOL

Well, it was your typo/pun in the first place lol
My guess is you haven't reread your first post......

Well, as I was telling you this morning Mark, I had just seen a blackbird doing this with dandelion leaves, pulling them from the growing plant and covered in raindrops, then off to her new nest.
Has anyone else seen anything like this?
The only medicinal property I know of for this plant is as a diuretic - graphically described by one of its traditional country names '[deleted] in the bed.'
So what benefit is Mrs Blackbird hoping for I wonder.....

I was watchuing the blackbird today. I'd put out some raisins and oats for the pigeons and doves. Along came mr blackbird, and was gathering up as many in his beak as he could in one go, then flew off, and back again in a couple of mins doing exactly the same. I assume that he's feeding the female sat on the nest?Either that, or he's got a store cupboard somewhere.

very interesting behaviour with the leaves. Sue I wouldnt put out oats or raisins at this time of year. both are dried and will rehydrate in nestlings bellies and possibly kill them. try soaking them over night

what should i soak them with ? water? I only put them out as I saw it in an article about feeding ground feeding birds.I wish that they'd give all the information ,such as soaking it first.
Thanks Mark.

plain ole water

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.