Ranunculus question.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

After several years of hunting these and wanting these I finally found some! Now what? I read that they should be dug up before frist frost but also that they do better if left undisturbed?? Should these be planted in a pot?? Anyone here know the best way to keep these babies for more than one season?
Also, I think I read that they bloom in late spring...if I plant them now are they suppose to bloom for me this year?
Thanks!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mollybee,
These are usually planted with other spring blooming bulbs..Usually in the fall or late winter..I just grow as annuals, the ones i have dug up don't always do so well..I just leave them in the ground here in zone 8 and some actually come back another year..
Larkie

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm wonder why the company sent them to me now then?? They usually send out things when its the proper time for planting. O well, guess I'll just go ahead and pot them up and let them sit until next year then. Or at least try them a couple of different ways, some potted up and save some til winter.
Thanks

Sometimes companies will sell them in spring for early summer blooms, especially in areas that have cold winters. They hate very hot weather and prefer to spend the summer dormant.

If you save them until winter, some of the bulbs will be dead because they can't make food without leaves. Personally, I'd plant the lot in a pot and bring them under shade when the weather starts to get warm, if they don't flower by mid May/June, at least they've had a chance to beef up their food reserves.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Ahh That sounds like a better idea than what I had planned. Thanks Baa! You're always such a big help to me! :)

My pleasure Mollybee. I think we're all a help to each other! As it happens, I've never managed to grow these, they don't even sprout leaves for me *G*.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Ahh man that is hard to believe Baa, I have had my fair share of bad luck with several others...I just hope these aren't hard to grow for me. Don't cha just hate when you try so hard to make a plant happy and it still dies!
I went out awhile ago and found the perfect terracotta planter box for these so I am going to try planting them tomorrow.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hate to tell you this, but mine are in full bloom! I know ther are different types. My DIL gave me 40 little bulbs, all yellow a year ago, can't remember if it was spring or fall. They have spread ferocusly! These are about half the size of others I have seen, only about an inch across.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

The blooms are only a inch across? or the blub thingy?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

The Blooms - and they are hardy. I had several bigger ones last year - but not yet, hope they didn't freeze - they were from another bunch.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I just received mine a week or so ago. I plan on soaking mine overnight before planting in partial shade. Good luck with yours.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I actually done the same thing. I soaked mine yesterday and planted them this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will sprout out. Good luck with your's too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.