Another Canna question....

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I just got my order from Horns. In the beginning I thought I would pot them up and get them started in the greenhouse, but that was when I ordered them, and not now. My greenhouse is bulging at the seams and no room for anything else. What do I do with the rhizomes until they can be planted in the ground in about two or three weeks? Will they be okay in the bags with the little holes in them? I don't want to lose them.

Thanks...Shirley

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

Shirley, mine have been sitting in those little bags for about three weeks now in a deep sink. They seem fine, they are putting on some growth. I just don't have the room to pot anything else up and keep it inside. I'm not sure how soon you can put them in the ground in your zone. Alice will know. I'm curious also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kristi, probably can plant most things around the first of May, so I thought I could get by planting the cannas around mid April. I just don't want them to rot before I have a chance to plant. Also, thanks for the tip on Naylor Creek. Looks like a great place to order from, but I'll have to wait until next year. I've blown the budget a few times over this year.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Canna rhizomes are pretty tough. I really think they would be fine.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks gingerlily. I don't have a lot of choice without potting them and keeping them in the house and I sure don't want to have to do that.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Shirley, they will be just fine in the ground after April 15th. I have them planted about 18 inches deep in the ground and they come back every year (south side of the house near the foundation).

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kay.....That is a good idea. I should be able to hold out for a couple of weeks.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I would be cautious about leaving them sit in the original bags for too long without opening them. Mine only sat a week and I had to cut off quite a bit of mush with tiny white worms in them. Those bags have no ventilation at all. I spread seed mix in plant flats and set them in with labels and covered with a couple inches of dirt. Of course I had extra room on shelves. Do you have any room on the ground under benches or anything?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Michele, I've already used every bit of room I have. Was thinking that I could do what you suggest and just put them in the garage. Will try to figure out something. Thanks.

Did you get your cannas from Horn's? My bags have little round holes all over them.

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 3rd 6:41 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

mine stayed in the bags in the open box for at least two weeks. I potted them up and they are all growing like gangbusters. from Horne too.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Bonnie. I'm not going to let myself get stressed out over them since so many have had no problem holding them.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Big Dog is coming!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Huh?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

KayJones, 18 inches deep??? So, even in your zone 5, they will survive the winter, and can be planted that deeply??? Maybe that is what I need to do here!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

18 inches????? What variety do you have Kay?

"eyes"

bronson, IA(Zone 4a)

shirley--i dig my cannas up in the fall-wash them off and let them dry then divide them and put them in boxes with the lid open and put them in my basement for the winter--only have lost a couple over the years--

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cheryl. I have stored them in open plastic bags in Jim's shop and they did well. Have kept them in the basement before and they dried up. Maybe our house is too dry. I have to be able to save some of these this year. Not in a hurry to dig cannas though. Just in a hurry to get them in the ground.

bronson, IA(Zone 4a)

Kay--thanks for the idea of leaving the cannas in the ground,18 inches deep--think i will try that this fall--last fall it about killed me digging those hugh things up!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.