first flowering geranium

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My first hardy geranium flowered toady, I have no idea what sort it is, my sister gave it to me, she'd raised it from seed. Said she'd be able to tell me when it flowers, well, now it has, so I'm hoping she can identify it for me.
Also my shrub,I think it's called vestidia is coming into flower.

Thumbnail by sueone

the shrub

Thumbnail by sueone
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Wow Sue anotherone with a garden warmer than mine. People keep telling me that their geraniums are flowering ang mine are no where near! :( though I think my Pyrenaicum Bill Wallis may flower soon!

It is Geranium Rubescens Sue. A biennial that will freely self seed.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Exciting sue!! Don't know the shrub - do you have any info on it?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I have lots with buds eg sanguineums, cinereums and a pyrenaicum collected in the SW Pyrenee

Thanks Psilo, I can put a name to the photo now instead of 'pink flower, unknown'.:-)
Hopefully Mark, I'll have a load more in my garden by the end of the summer,my sister started me off on growing them.She says that they are fairly easy, which is what I need.All apart from one that she keeps trying to grow, can't rremember name of it, it has stalks that support thr plant, it's tender, and beautiful.must ask her again ,which one it is.
philomel,the shrub has a story to it, it's lucky that it's survived at all.About 5 years ago,I sowed atray of seeds from Chiltern, it's a bag of mixed odds and ends, could be anything in there.Godd fun trying to identify what things are.This plant grew ,which I put in my flower bed thinking it was a perrenial of some sort,well, it sort of got covered up during the year with other plants, but came into view again as the stuff died down at the end.It seemed to be sprawling accross the ground, wasn't too sure what it was, in fact, I didn't have a clue, apart from the fact it smelt rank.Then when I went to tidy up in the spring,it accidentally got cut off to the base.left the base to see if it'd resprout, but ,no.then I found the stems that had been cut off on a pile for the tip, and there was a seed pod, so I sowed them, and got another one.This one I'm training up the wall of my gazebo,and finally identified it last summer as a Vestia foetida ,fromthe Solanaceae family. It's from Chile,evergreen,it flowers mid-spring to mid-summer.Not the best of smelling shrubs, but interesting,and lovely when it's covered in yellow bells.

had my first flowers yesterday. Reflexum and Nicola Jane. I think this summer is going to be a long and beautiful one !! :))

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

flowering for me are Phaeum variegatum and cinereum/sanguineum 'Carol'

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's quite a story sueone, thanks for so much info and a tale with a happy ending
My geraniums aren't in flower yet - just the one erodium still - thought the phaeums are thinking about it.

Carol is a cinereum Mark and quite beautiful. Sadly I lost mine :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.