Pepper question

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

First I must confess that I haven't cleaned up last years garden yet (I like to think I leave the stuff there for the birds and insects and I'm not just lazy). Anyway, I was looking over the mess and I noticed that my pepper plants from last year are still green. They have lost all there leaves and are basically just stems but does anyone think they will produce this year?

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Kathy, they just might. I understand that in their native habitat,where freezing weather dosen't kill them, peppers can become large bushes. However, I also understand that peppers don't take well to being stressed,(like loosing all their leaves). Soo, take a chance if you have the room, mabe we'll all learn something.

Lancaster, CA

Kathy,

Pepper plants in their "native" habitat are perennial anywho. With that said.....in Santa Clara....I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I have an internet pal near Santa Monica beach. He has to remove his tomato plants to plant his new ones or they'd keep growing year round.

Chris

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, I may just leave one and see what happens.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Kathy,

My pepper plants did wonderfully well the second year. My fruit was a little smaller on a couple plants, but was very tasty. I am also in Calif. I mulched them in the winter and fed them when the leaves started to reappear. I kept them mulched and they did fantastic! It is nice to have peppers earlier and then when my other peppers were just being harvbested, I pulled up the old plant. Since I rotate, I planted another veggie in it's place. Personally, I would only keep one plant overwintering just to get those early season peppers.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Kathy (from another Kathy) :)

When I lived in Phoenix, a few of my friends had pepper bushes. Jalapeno and birds' eye peppers were considered to be shrubs, and bore fruit almost year-round. It does get frosty there a few nights, but peppers are tropical perennial shrubs, not annuals like the species name implies.

So your peppers should survive and bear great this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.