Beet growers? Help!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I kept my young late beets in the ground last fall. They survived just fine, and my question is this: will they still be fit to eat when they resume growing? Or should I harvest them now? They are smaller than a garden pea at the moment (the root, that is).

As long as they don't start to bolt, they should be fine

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Smaller than a garden pea? I'm sure they'll be fine when the get some growth on them. I've kept bigger beats in the garden over winter and they eventually got very tough and cracked, not much good. The greens were still tasty tho! Luvs them greens!
Like Baa said they could possibly bolt so keep an eye out for that.
I have some seed soaking now for planting out. However, after having such nice weather in the 70's and 80's this past week, now it is raining (with sleet mixed in) and possible freeze warning tonite. Guess I'll hafta wait till the ground dries out again.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Baa and 'Shoe. Yes, I often keep beets in the ground until the need for them... last fall got cold so fast, though, they didn't have a chance to grow big. First time that had ever happened to me. I didn't know if they would grow bigger before they bolted. Since they are biennials, wasn't sure when the flowering trigger would kick in.

Shame on you 'Shoe! I planted my spring beets on St. Patty's Day along with my carrots and beets and potatoes and... I have never soaked mine, though; they sprout within 3-4 days just fine. Does it help in separating them so there is no need to thin them?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I wanted to plant them delish beets much earlier but our weather hasn't been in the best of moods to allow us to plant when I want to, dagnabbit!

Soaking won't help as far as thinning but will get them to germinate faster. If yours come up in 3 or 4 days I'd say you are in luck!

What will help thinning tho is to hammer them. Yep. A friend of mine (75 yrs young)told me a few yrs ago how his mom (now deceased so no way to verify it!) used to put the beet seeds in a pillow case and knock the hello out of them with a mallet. He thought she was gonna ruin the seed she beat them so hard. However, what it did was break the seed apart and they came up like crazy! (A beet "seed" is really a clump of 4 seeds or more, that's why they always need to be thinned so much...all 4 seeds come up together.) By beating the seed "clump" it separates the 4 seeds so when you sow them they are not so close together. Pretty cool, eh? I've done it that way every since. τΏτ

Lexington, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't had the best luck with beets, like the idea of planting in the fall and overwintering. How close to the first frost date should they be planted? I know it is early to be thinking about that but......... Think I will try replanting my spring ones that haven't come up and hope it is not to late to get them started.

Sparks

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Sparks, I usually make 3 sowings of beets. I have very limited space in my veggie garden, so I seldom do the book-recommended ways of rotating, succession sowing, etc.

I never have a problem germinating my beet seeds, but I cover my beds after sowing with floating row cover, or with clear plastic in the early spring. Helps hold the moisture in without the top of the soil getting caked. Get outstanding carrot germination that way too. Also helps keep the birds away until they sprout. Then when I remove it, just makes it easier for the birds to find their new goodies. Can't win ;D Maybe I should just leave it on! But I have found that the plants grow much slower if kept covered all the time. Not quite enough sunlight penetrates for the rapid growth that I prefer.

'Shoe, I love the thought of beating your beet seeds ;D Leave it to you...

Have you heard the folklore about cursing as you sow parsley and basil? Got to curse it or it won't sprout... But watch your mouth, your young'un might be around...

Edited to say that I pulled one of the baby beets today, no sign of it bulbing up yet, so I will allow the rest to stay in the ground a while longer. Lots of new leaves shooting up, though. The weather keeps going warm/cold warm/cold. Must be tough on the little things.

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 10th 8:24 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sparks, 4 to 8 wks is what I usually go by. And since it is usually hot at that time I soak them for at least a day or more, in the shade, not the sun. They'll germinate better if it isn't too hot.

Folklore? About cursing? Hehehehe...yep, have heard that before, especially parsley. (Goes nine times to the Devil.)
Course now, I haven't cursed in years! ;>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.