Over-wintering lettuce

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted Pinetree Winter Lettuce Mix last fall, mid-September. Started harvesting young leaves in October, and kept it up until true cold arrived in mid-November. I covered them with row cover for the winter.

I uncovered them on 3/16, watered them well, and within 5 days had resumed my daily harvesting. Out of all the different types of lettuce I have tried over-wintering -- black-seeded Simpson, Buttercrunch, Oak-leaf, etc, this mix has worked out the best. And we had a brutal winter, enormous amount of snow, sub-zero temps, sub-freezing temps for weeks on end, etc.

I sent a letter of congrats to Pinetree, and you can be sure I ordered more of this mix for upcoming fall/winter!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Love Pinetree!

I was skeptical last fall when I planted lettuce intended for overwintering. I was thrilled to see the lettuce hold up all winter! I planted a cutting variety and also some different bibbs. Lost some bibbs-but the cutting lettuce exceeded my expectations!

With things warming up now, I hope the bibbs don't bolt before I can get to them! Thanks for the tip on Winter Lettuce Mix! I'll definately be looking for more varieties to try this fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.