Giant Pumpkins - Anyone grow them?

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm reading the book "How to Grow World Class Giant Pumpkins II" I'm trying to get ahold of the first book, since it's supposed to give more detail about the 'tested' techniques, etc. Does anyone know a place that has them in stock? I can't seem to find any place that can get me a copy sooner than 6 to 8 weeks...

I have a large garden, and this year I've decided to start my quest to grow the worlds largest pumpkin. All arrows are pointing at Dill's Atlantic Giant. I've actually ordered seeds from Howard Dill. I've read that it usually takes several years of experimenting and practice before most growers become serious contenders for a top prize.

Fletch

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey gfletch,it can be done,your in the right place to ask,you will find the best on Daves!If you are new jump over to welcome mat and say hello!if you haven't already.
I've heard tons of water,and live in Alaska,they have a mutant growing season.
welcome from a former Mi. guy.
Root.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've grown some monster pumpkins and didn't do too much to make them that way. I used "Big Max" seeds and when I got a fairly decent looking pumpkin start on each plant, I plucked the rest of them off. I also pinched off all the runners. I wasn't so much into gardening then, so I don't remember all the basics. I was more into growing the largest pumpkin for my kids to decorate for Halloween. One pumpkin we got was almost as wide and much taller than a pickup box and we had to get some neighbors to help get it out of the garden. LOL! A lot of the credit for the results probably was the great garden year we had, but it was so much fun to grow this with the kids. Everyone in the family checked on it daily.

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

this summer I will grow gianīt pumpkins.....Atlantic-giant is that name.......at first time.........we have pumpkin growing contest too in Finnish gardening forum...

I have thinking to make warmbed on our yard....for pumpkins..

Hi fletch.. I just picked up the II book yesterday at a Nursery nearby.. Orchard nursery in Orinda CA. They had the first book also. Last year I grew maxima's but I needed to give them more water I think. My biggest was only 117 lbs. Over in Half Moon Bay they have a big contest every year, most of the big ones are from oregon and washington. Good luck. If you want me to pick up the book for you let me know. PK

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5b)

PK,

Dill's Atlantic Giant has won the weigh off every year since 1978. The current world record is 1372 lbs! I've grown them for several years now. Last year I grew one that weighed 463 lbs. The only thing I did was restrict it to one pumpkin on the plant and give it lots of water. I'll check out the local nurseries first, if I can't find the book there I may take you up on your offer.

Fletch

OK Fletch... just let me know. Do you have a source of Atlantic Dill seeds? PK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.