Wildlife..........................March 27th

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Another summer's day!!
The comma butterflies seem to have been out in force for a few days now. I just caught this one on camera while it was sunning itself in my front garden :)

Thumbnail by philomel
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

loverly flutterby. do you have the large shot still? can I beg it for wallpaper? 800 pixels wide?

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

I agree, very nice butterfly and picture.
I have seen butterflys yet but yesterday I heard seagol voices...

Thanks both :)
Yes Mark, you know I never delete anything LOL I'll send it later

Lovely photo Philomel. I saw a comma here yesterday basking in the mid-day sunshine.

It's strange - we always used to think of brimstones as the first butterflies of spring, but the last few years the commas are taking over. I've always associated commas with autumn and drunken flutterybies on fermenting pears and apples

That's great that you've got them too greentapestry - where are you?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

there seems to have been quite a few around this last week I'm assuming that it's the warm weather that brings them out.
I saw a largish yellow one, being closely followed by a smaller brown looking one, I have no idea what type they were.

The largish yellow one was most likely a brimstone sue. Smallish brown ones come under the same sort of heading as the birdwatchers' LBJ (little brown job) or as Ronnie Barker put it "little brown Richard the Third", but it was left to the imagination as to whether that was rhyming slang for bird or tu**
(Ooops, better watch my language lol)

the weird thing was that the smaller one was closely following the bigger one, I'm talking m.m. here.i wondered if it could have been a male and femail of a species, but they looked so different,they followed each other around the garden for about 3-4 mins, before they flew out of site.Very intreguing.

I found this today..

Thumbnail by Mitjo

Is that a little seedling of a fir tree Mitjo?I couldn't find my glasses !..so it wasn't too clear to me

yes, it is. and the picture is not so clear also..

funny that it grow on stub..

What a cute baby! Yes, the seed's got lodged in the tree stump. So, like archaeologist find layers of buildings going back in time, this will be one tree on top of another :)

I am about 15 miles away from Liverpool Philomel.

Ahh, I've never been to Liverpool, but was born and spent early childhood in Chester - so not that far away :)
So, interesting your getting the commas too, quite a lot further north

got my glasses on now, so I see what I'm looking at!...
weird..it's odd how you can plant some things in places ,and they fail to grow, yet something that seeds itself in what seems an inhospitible place thrives.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.