Cosmos - How Long?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I planted cosmos seeds in peat pots on March 8 and still no sign of them. They have bottom heat. I haven't grown cosmos before, but seems like a long time for germination. Should I give up on them or wait a bit longer?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I always sow them directly outside in April, and they grow just fine. They start blooming pretty late though, so I was thinking to start some inside in early April this year. They usually sprout in about a week for me (outside) if I remember right.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi haighr. I started mine inside last year on Apr. 25 & they were in bloom at the end of Aug. I checked my book & it said germination time is 3-10 days & bloom time is 2-1/2 months. Seeing as you are in zone 6, I think I would do like Evert said & just seed them outside & also start some inside. I never give mine bottom heat & have never had a problem.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

i find they germinate in days when planted either in pots or by direct sowing.

I wouldnt do bottom heat but just make sure they are kept at 10C.

Peat pots arent worth the bother and can lead to problems. when the plants are put outside the peat dries way too fast and the roots cant get out. you would be better to plant them in deep plastic modulues. they can then be planted outside as a plant plug with the roots in direct contact with the soil.

Feeding Hills, MA(Zone 5a)

I agree with Mark....I always use peat pots and then rip them open and discard them when putting the plant into the ground. I think it takes too long for them to disintegrate.

I always start my cosmos in the house in peat pots and they sprout pretty quick.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks all, that answers my questions. I started them in peat pots and nothing in 3 weeks, so will try sowing more as suggested.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

One way that has been successful for me is a few inches of soil in two liter soda bottle (cut almost all the way around, staying intact), throw in some seeds, put about 1/4 - 1/2 inch soil. They come up in a few days, a nice thing about the soda bottle, takes minimal space and also can support the seedlings as they grow taller.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a great idea sbarr, I still have some seeds left so will give it another try. Hate the fact I've already ruined 50 or so that are showing no signs of life, so will be more careful with the next batch!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Spoke too soon, although it has been a few weeks, I just saw the heads of two coming up this morn. After posting this thread and reading your suggestions, thought the pots might be too dry, so have been watering a bit more intensely and it worked!!!
Thanks all, looks like I'm gonna have Cosmos for the First time !

what you have to do is water them enough so the pots are alwats damp never dry

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mark, that's what I've done and they are popping up all over.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

when they get older, don't give them a lot of water, or you will only get foliage and no flowers. last year i had these huge cosmo's plants and only a couple of flowers until i learned why. :) then it was fall. live and learn, this year i will not water them as much.

very strange idea. mine are usually flowering before I get a chance to get them into the ground

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tips all. Hope to have a good crop of them this year with your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.