wildlife observations March 20th

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Chestnut and Rowan buds are bursting.

two Robins were unashamedly getting busy at the base of work's Rowan today.

cotonearter horizontalis grown vertical is fully leaved today.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

So the male will be feeding the female now then and generally looking after her :)

A bluetit is working hard to personalise the nest box on the garage, the starlings, blackbirds, sparrows and thrushes are courting and building and the goldfinches are still fighting over the seed lol

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've muddied my feeder philomel, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of these flocks of finches.
there were a pair of wood pigeons that used to visit my garden every day, but there's only one now,they've lost their mate along the line somehow, it,(not sure of sex)looks lost and lonely!
I have a pair of robins chasing around, and a pair of blackbirds too.

Sue the other pigeon is most likely on eggs. She sits at night and he sits during the day

Philomel the robins weren't feeding they were practicing making babies LOL

thanks mark,that makes me feel better.I'd seen them both recently ,obviously courting, sitting in my may tree flapping wings at each other, making heckofa racket.

I realised that Mark - after they've perfected the making babies routine the male feeds the female so as to conserve her energy for egg production :-)
Very thoughtful and considerate lol!

So when you see the male feeding the female you know he's already had his wicked way with her ;)

Got my fingers crossed for your feeder sue

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

pity its not the other way round for us females philomel !! ;) they look after us first then ..... :D

Sue your two pigeons were males fighting

ooppss!....thought it looked a bit aggressive,do they mate for life? as there's been a pair of pigeons visiting my garden for the last 3 years, they always seem to be together, one flies in followed 5 seconds later by the other one.Same with a pair of collared doves, they're always together.

I dont think they pair for life otherwise there would be no need for the wing clap and glide display.

how many people have told you the same robin comes to the garden every year!

Birds that mate for life still display at the start of the breeding season. (OK for doves that's all year round lol)
I'm not saying doves do, but i think it's storks and some of their relatives which reinforce their pair bonds with lots of beak clacking and other display

Storks, albatros and related species, swans.

I must look up my book and see what the wing clap display is for

Yes, I thought albatross, remember seeing them, bills entwined, on tv. Not sure about other tubenoses

I love that dove/pigeon wingclapping with the graceful glide afterwards. Always seems so happy and free.

my doves were snuggled up on the tree together, he ( I assume it was the he)was grooming her, she had her head rested down on his breast,with a complete look of ectasy in her eyes!......
the only poor bird that seems to be on it's own is a poor little dunnock that roams my garden.

Well we won't go into the love habits of the dunnock here - it is a family site after all. It may seem alone sue, but I bet it knows where to get its jumpers washed as it's probably part of a threesome..........or four......or...
Hmmm

very true

Oooohhh!....Well I never, who'd have thought....it looks such a little innocent bird!.....LOL

It's always the quiet ones LOL ;)

well .... she's a bit of a tart!

well .... not a bit of but every chance she can get.

I hear he's in for the main chance too, wherever........

yes he hates her wandering but doesnt turn down a chance when it comes his way. a very strange roundabout

Think we'd better go back to discussing albatrosses LOL
.........or your doves sue :)

yes before I/we gets our knuckles knocked

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.