ATTN: Ohioans & Neighbors

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, Morph - this is for you! :)

I wanted to let those of you in the area know that THE big event is coming up soon. deMonye's Greenhouse is having their annual perennial, wave petunia and geranium sales in April.

I don't work there, and I don't have any affiliation with them other than my being a very happy customer. Our yard is full of their plants and they've done great.

Annual Perennial Sale: April 11-13
4-pack for $1, or a flat of 48 for $12. They'll have over 80 varieties this year.

Annual Wave Petunia Sale: April 18-20
3-pack for $1, or a flat of 36 for $12. Purple, pink, lilac, silver, lavender, white, blue, rose and cherry.

Geranium Sale: April 25-27
3-pack for $1 or a flat of 36 for $12. Red, white, pink, salmon, violet and appleblossom.

The note there is a limit 3 flats per customer, but I've bought 5 before with no problem. It probably depends on turnout and what's in stock.

They're located at 2500 Airport Drive, Columbus, Ohio, 43219:

Yahoo Maps: http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=c5EdV.p_0To6a2o1Ekd2Vy2ao2CN2ySlRFSaEOl3I.bNPioUjHSap14f3F2IKFQO&csz=Columbus%20OH%20&country=us
Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=2500+Airport+Drive+&city=Columbus&state=OH

I posted pictures from last year's sale in my journal: http://davesgarden.com/j/viewentry/13834/

Edited for spelling gaffs, err, goofs. ;)

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 18th 1:41 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Dope ~ you sent me the email and I'm just now getting here... Go figure! At least I'll be in time this year or I don't have an excuse if I don't!

Last year I didn't find out about this until the middle of April, after the petunia sale :(

Thanks so muck, Kim, for putting this on the radar screen. I do now know to go early!!! They sell out very fast of the most popular varieties.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting this, I've been planning to drag Bob there this year - Since I saw your pictures from last year.

What time does the sale start? I think we shall have to drive down Thursday night.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I never get there earlier than 10 or 11am on Friday, and there's been plenty. They're continually restocking the area with flats from their huge greenhouse. I'm not sure what their hours are...The phone number's 614-252-6046.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting this Kim -- I got their flyer the other day, and here is a scanned photo of it. The sale starts at 8 am, and if you are not there by 7 am, forget trying to park. I usually arrive at 6:45, and spend some time drinking coffee in my car. A few years they have let us early birds in at 7:30, especially those of us who are handicapped. We don't fight crowds too well.

Thumbnail by lupinelover
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting that, Kathy. See, we get there with the second wave of folks! :) When we get there, you earlybird people are leaving and we get your parking spots. ;)

I see they have more info on the flyer than my postcard did. So, 90 varieties of perennials instead of 80, then. I think that, if I spend anything on plants this spring, it's going to be on a flat of petunias and a flat of geraniums. I want the season-long color of annuals and with the basement work I've not been able to start seeds this season.

This message was edited Thursday, Mar 20th 7:14 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oooo, Esther_z6, good idea about getting their the night before! It's right near the airport, so there must be plenty of places to stay ~ great idea!!!

Last year they ran out of a particular wave petunia I had wanted :(

This year I'll be in the first wave of lookers :)

Thanks to Kim & Lupine for the info!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

DH and I have been going to these sales every year for 7 years and there has never been a shortage of plants or parking spaces.........even on the second and third days there are plenty of plants. Esther, if you want to come the night before, you are welcome to stay with us (we live in Newark and have a spare bedroom always ready for company). Just e-mail me and let me know. You guys could follow us in to the greenhouse sale if you don't know how to get there. I'm serious....you are more than welcome at our house and we have verrrrrrrry good cinnamon rolls and coffee!!!!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, they sure do. :) HI, Mom!

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm so JEALOUS! I want to go *sob*

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

ME TOO!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

See, we should schedule a round-up around that weekend some time...I am not volunteering, LOL! I'm a good idea person, but a poor long-range planner.

(Zone 5a)

Lol it's funny because I just printed out the map with the directions when I found this post, I hope to see you all there.

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! I had not looked at this thread for awhile, and find I have an invitation for food and shelter! Thank you so much, we certainly want to go visit you Lotusblossom(and your garden) someday. (Bob could help Kim with the central vacumn too). We go to Columbus about once a month to stay with my MIL, make sure she is doing all right and visit the FIL at the nursing home - and to shop.

Bob has lots of family in the area, and I lived in Columbus for 13 years when we worked at OSU, and therefore are quite familiar with the place. Plus we have several copies of the detailed Franklin County map.

Is everyone going to this sale on Friday? or Saturday? Maybe we could all meet at another parking lot, or eat lunch together somewhere? We could do our plant swap too! I did have a question about the sale, - is each 4-pack all the same plant? If so we could also swap a couple of each plant too.

If there is interest in this, there is still time to figure something out.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

They're the same plants, yes. A lot of people buddy up and swap cells. I'd be interested in seeing y'all, even if I don't buy. Maybe I could ride with Lotusblossom and DF. :)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I think I'll be hitting the first weekend this year. Last year I hit the geranium sale when I really wanted the petunia sale. Twas fun none the less... Maybe a luncheon?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

See, I'd really like some petunias for season-long color. I have perennials, many of which I really need to just MOVE, so I'd better not buy new ones.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Well, I've plenty of petunia seeds if you'd like, GW :)

(Zone 5a)

I am going to hit the annual perennial sale I would really like to see what they have to offer.

Hey Lupy have you decided when your going?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I am going to be there bright and early Friday morning :)

Morph, Gardenwife, and any others, if you want petunias or geraniums and don't want to make the long drive, I will be more than happy to buy some for you and you can pick them up later or I will mail them to you. Even the cost of shipping (mostly bareroot) will be way less than buying them at regular price...

Esther, I am definitely in on the plant swap idea. I have a few woody shrubs that are not quite as big as that monster last summer, but too big to ship. Also have/will have a whole lot of perennials I am in the midst of dividing. Way too many to try to list here, but basically, the stuff I have that blooms summer/fall gets divided in spring, and ornamental grass. Not to mention a large number of seedlings.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Gardenwife, and any others in the area: the Delaware County Master Gardeners are hosting their spring symposium on that Saturday, April 12. If you want details, just ask. I attended this last year and it was outstanding!!!!! Tracy DiSabato Aust is the keynote speaker this year.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have been refraining from posting here in case I don't have the guts to make the trip! LOL But, if I work the night before, maybe I can pass out and have hubby drive and wake up after the ride. LOL He'll be much happier and more attractive without bloody wounds from my fingernails. :) This is close to Columbus-1 1/2 hours from me, right? Even close??

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Lupine, I've never been to anything like what you're describing. I'm not a master gardener. I would like to know more if you have link or something.

Seed, I could swing by you & we could go together. Maybe our DHs would watch kids? Just a thought to noodle on...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I would love to hear Tracy DiSabato Aust speak - she's awesome. I resigned from the Master Gardener Program, however.

So, Morph & Chele, are you talking about the perennial sale day or the petunia day? And Morph - are your petunia seeds wave petunias?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am probably thinking perennials. :) Morph, for you to swing by here, you would have to go an hour in the opposite direction, then turn around and go back!?!?! Did you not read that I am some kind of [deleted] passenger?? LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe DH could bind and gag you and leave you at a rest area for Morph to pick up? ;)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kimberley! You are awful! LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Couldn't resist. ;)

Hey! I just read that Tracy DiSabato-Aust will be at Franklin Park Conservatory on May 3:

Don’t miss Tracy DiSabato-Aust
May 3 – 9:00 a.m.
http://www.fpconservatory.org/calendar.html

Award-winning designer and nationally recognized horticulture author on Saturday, May 3 at 9a.m. at Franklin Park Conservatory. Tracy’s newest book, The Well-Designed Mixed Garden, reflects decades of professional experience and artistic innovation and is a nearly foolproof guide to every aspect of designing superior gardens with superior plants. Tickets are only $15 for members, $20 for non-members and can be purchased by calling 614-645-5927.

Jump into the garden by pre-ordering NOW from a wide selection of annuals, tropicals and special selections. Members receive a 10% discount with their pre-order. Receive an order form by calling 614-645-5927. The pre-order deadline is March 15 and pick up for pre-orders is Saturday, May 3 and Sunday, May 4 from 10a.m. to 5p.m.

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 1st 4:13 PM

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Info about the Delaware County Master Gardener program.

Title: Green Thumbs Gardeners' Fair. Open to the public, cost is $5 per person, children under 12 free. It is being hosted by OSU Extension-Delaware County.

There will be talks and demonstrations hosted by the MGs of Delaware County on a variety of topics. Each talk lasts about 45 minutes; there are 5 or 6 time slots, with the talks on a rotating basis.

It is at the Delaware Hayes High School, 286 Euclid Ave., Delaware, OH.

There will also be a number of vendors selling items, food that can be purchased. It opens at 8:30 and runs until 3:30.

I haven't found a web site about this yet, but I haven't really looked. If I do, I will post it.

If I have the energy after Friday, I will definitely be going to this.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

LupineLover ~~~

You have mail.

Adam.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info, Lupine! GW, great idea on having Seed bound, gagged & waiting for me :) I don't care about the extra time going South ~ if I did, I wouldn't offer!!! I can just listen to my music and let Seed talk to herself ~ lol!

I'm pretty stuck on going to the perennial sale. Went to the geranium one last year & bought WAVE petunia seeds from Pinetree last year, too. I've Silver/White Wave seeds & a light pink variety for which I don't recall the name right now. I also collected HOT pink seeds from the non-wave petunias I grew. I've got some growing well from seed I collected for all the varieties. About 6 weeks now under the lights.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What we need for Seed is a nice, padded conversion van. With beer. ;)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

So, GW, would you like me to send some of the wave seeds your way? Would be happy to do as a small thanks for all that you've done for DGs & me!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sure! Thanky! :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ha ha Kimberley! I just cannot believe Morph is willing to arrive with claw marks in her arms and permanent heel marks in her dash board! LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Seed, if you show up, I will hop, err, stand on one foot and sing Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

And I will be humming 'Michelle, Ma Belle' in the background ;)

I am hoping to lure btailoring to this also. B, are you there? I sent her the link last night after Chat.

Morph, will you come Friday? Can we meet somewhere and go together? Windsurffer has promised to go also, if she can.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Lupine, I'm trying to work this with DH as he has to be at work on Saturday. So, I'm trying to get a babysitter & just as soon as I can get a confirmation, I'll let you know. I am excited about trying to get there Friday so I'm doing all I can to try to make that happen.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Yippee!! Morph, go find the link about dividing perennials; I listed my extras. I will very gladly keep some back if you want them until you come for the sale! I hope you can, I hope you can, I hope you can! *giggling with glee*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.