wildlife observations March 18th

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Starlings outside are doing their wing flap display and a cock House sparrow is singing as best as he can.

No Goldfinches today:-(

Wheatears arriving in large numbers along with Sandwich Terns

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Neh neh de neh neh
10 goldfinches just now - that's a record for here and that's with just 1 feeder!
;P

Sparrows flirting here too. Mmm the song's never going to win a contest lol

The vet was very intrigued - he's into birds, but hasn't tried niger yet, so you may have another convert there. He's had goldfinches on his black sunflower seeds, but only two at a time. I told him about how many you get and he's keen to try it

very good. maybe this will help the population this year.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Any waxwings there yet? I haven't seen any here since it got warmer.

just a few here and there

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

my niger feeder is still hanging, but I've seen no visitors as yet, but I know that I do get finches in my garden as I've seen them. The feeder seems to have scared them off!!

I got all excited the other morning as the feeder was half full, I had visions of mega flocks around it.Then I could hear this noise, looked around, and the feeder was being tilted slightly by a branch of a rose, and the seed was pouring out of the hole onto the ground.
Oh well, at least the ground feeders had a feast!....

Another beautiful day, hubby was off and did lots of tidying in the garden, bless him 'cos I know he hates it.He cut and strimmed the grass, it's amazing how much better that makes the garden look.Made me a second raised strawberry bed,painted the hawaiin hut,I really get miffed 'cos I can't do these things for myself anymore, and have to rely on others to do it for me. there was nothing that I loved better than on a sunny day to go out and dig over a flower or veg bed.used to make you feel so good.

The greenhouse is full already of seedlings pricked out, and loads more coming on.i sit on my little stool in there surrounded by pots and compost,heaven.

Yes, isn't it great that spring is on the way? Sorry you can't do all those things you used to enjoy, but sounds as if you're making the most of what you can :)

Mark suggested damping the feeder and then smearing it with mud to cut down the shine. That might be worth a try if you haven't done it already

Oooh think of all those strawberries to come, making me drool LOL

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

thanks philomel,didn't think of that.Will give it a go

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.