Favorite vines

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

What would you consider to be the top five most sought after vines?

Patricia

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

How can I name just five? There are so many beauties especially some of the tropicals. But realistically something that I can grow and survive here is Morning glories, like good old Heavenly Blue. I like the cobaea vine too.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Passiflora.....

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

The 5 top most around the word?> or our world--Probably -Hedera-the ivy, Clematis, Wisteria, Parthenocissus, Vitis, but then what about Actinidia, Mandevilla, Passiflora, Pandorea, Lonicera, Jasminum, Oh Dear.....the beat goes on.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

For an annual vine or two, I like thunbergia, both Blushing Susie and the regular Black Eyed Susan. I love MG's, hyacinth bean, corkscrew vine, passifloras, etc. This year I have a lavendar moon flower vine, thanks to a nice trader. I'd love to have them all!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

As many of you said it's hard to name favorite vine. I have about 15 or so clematis, so maybe that is my favorite. I ordered 5 more this year, but then I will have quite a few places for vines in new woodland area. I planted 4 different varieties of MG and most germinated very well. They are just getting their true leaves. i did plant about 25 seeds of Cobea Scandens more than a week ago and none have germinated yet. I put them in the net lined jiffy 7s on their edge. I've grown them before and i know they are slow, so maybe I am just too eager. rutholive, (Donna)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thunbergia grandiflora. stunning.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have been searching for Thun.grandiflora for 3 yrs and Roselaine has found it! I can't wait. Brugie, that lavender moonflower sounds wonderful.

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

have anybody experience to grow Coral vine? (Antigonon leptupus)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Mitjo, I just started my coral vine and they already have 3 sets of true leaves.
I just planted them in starting mix about 1/2 inch down. kept watered well and had a dome on them. They are about 5 inches tall now and looking good.

Good luck with yours.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I'd say Clematis and Wisteria myself... At least for my Zone.... I'm hoping the Passiflora returns this year. If so, it's right at the top with the other two :)

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Doesn't anybody love the look of the Golden Hops? On his own, a wonderful show of sunshine! Can be a bit invasive, but what a filler! E.............he's just now starting shoot out!...I'll definitely take a photo in the summer!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Mitjo and Ohio, I have some baby coral vines also, I've never grown them before, so I'm anxious to see how they will do for me

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Clematis.........can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.

"eyes"

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey "eyes", take a look just up a few replies ~ it's at the top of my list :)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Number one in my book is Moon Vine.

Also, trumpet vine, cardinal climber, the morning glories, true jasmines, honeysuckles, cobaea scandens, thunbergia,
aristolochia, madeira, nasturtium, passiflora.....

And although not strictly a vine possibly, but bouganvillea, hot purple or magenta ones.

I can honestly say I have not known a vine I didnt like, nd the showier and more fragrant, the better! If the hummingbirds like em, so do I!

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Thanks Ohio!
now I have two good looking coral vine seedling......second real leaves are coming....

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I bought a Dicentra scandens from Herronswood this spring. The order from them came a week ago. The tender looking climbing dicentra is still in it's container. If it isn't too windy tomorrow I will plant it out and put a plastic hotkap over it and hope it doesn't get too cold. I really want it to grow. Donna

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

My all time favorite vine would definitely be Clematis! So many varieties, so many colors, for every growing environment, it's versatility is limitless! Growing up trees, through shrubs, as groundcovers, adorning fences & trellises or simply as cut flowers.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Each year I cover or at least try to cover my fence with vines. I love the Pearly Gates morning glory because it tends to stay open all day for me here no matter if it is in sun or shade. I also love the deep blue morning glory called heavenly blue. I have grown one that is not as deep blue so am not sure if this is heavenly blue or not. I also grow cardinal climber and red cypress vine is so pretty also.
I bought a Carolina Jasmine, but doubt if I will be able to enjoy it as I found out it is highly poisonous and had to place it on the outskirts to keep it away from my pets.
I grew the coral vine last year also. I heard it was like a weed. It didn't have time to flower last year. Is it a perennial? I hope so, otherwise I probably do nothave a long enough season for it either. I heard it was also poisonous, so cannot make a houseplant of it because of the indoor cats.
I grow two kinds of honeysuckle also. One is a wild vine and is really fragrant, but I have to keep it in check.
Too bad such a pretty vine is also invasive.
I have trumpet vine started from seed a few years ago that is finally flowering and also a wisteria that is getting established.
I am growing love in a puff which is wild in some places around here and where I got my first seeds to start it a few years ago. I also have wild passiflora incarnata, which is a good source for the fritillary cats.
I do not have any real favorite fragrant ones, except for the outstanding white moonflower which is so late to bloom I hardly get to enjoy it before frost takes it. But I grow it every year hoping to catch at least a week or two of blooms.
I try to grow every new morning glory that happens to come into my hands. The Mt. Fuji is a favorite, as is the Rose silk and double ones.
As you can see, I love almost every vine I can find.
Windy

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Shirley, I tried some new varieties of Clematis last year. But, they didn't do nearly as well as my first & favorite ~ a purple variety. Do all yours grow fast?

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Has anyone tried the Blue LIght clematis?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Not yet ~ do you like/have it?

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it is beautiful - and I have no clematic yet.

BUt up until now I have only seen it advertised at less than reputable nurseries, and then this year Wayside has it- and they are almost always out of my range.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Lavanda, I ordered C. Blue Light from Greers this year and I did expect my order from Greers to come today but it didn't. I also ordered C. Lady Betty Balfour, a deep blue purple. They are expensive, at $20.00 ea. But I have found over the years, it is better to but from a reputable place. In my new woodland garden there are several different structures for vines. Eventually (years down the road, so i don't have to worry) it will probably be too shady for clematis. Donna

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

For vigour I like the viticella hybrid clematis. Mine flower all season long. I have Mme Julia Correvon and Polish Spirit. The hop that Elaine mentioned is another of my choices but haven't grown it over here as I don't think it will appreciate the heat and humidity. My other favourite climber is Akebia Quinata (the chocolate vine). It is flowering for the first time and is gorgeous. The flowers are quite tiny - here's a couple of pics.

http://www.themediterraneangarden.org/plants/Akebia.quinata.html

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/MEMBGNewsletter/Volume2number2/b0424tx.html

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have akebia quinata, it is blooming here now, you are so right it is kind of dainty.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Morph & Lavanda,

It depends on the variety & age, as well as, root development of your Clematis. The older the Clematis vine, the better the root development.

If you have a 1yr. old Clematis you should NOT plant it in the ground for a least 6 months! I grow my 1 yr. Clematis in pots that are graduated in size. Eventually, when your Clematis has been grown in a 1 gallon pot, you can safely put it in the ground and not worry that it will not thrive.

There are many other factors that affect Clematis, such as Clematis wilt, letting it dry out, and forgetting about the vine in your garden when you go on vacation. These vines thrive on lots of T.L.C.! You can't expect a 1 yr. old vine to do, as well as, one that has the growth after being grown in a 1 gallon pot.

Also, some Clematis are more susceptible to Clematis wilt than others. Try to obtain Viticellas (won't get Clematis wilt) and other hardy ones. If you want me to provide a list of the most hardy Clematis, please let me know.

Clematis can NOT be allowed to dry out EVER!!! Especially when they are young! You need to keep it watered during hot dry summers or non-rainy periods of weather. Their roots need to be shaded by low growing plants or a rock placed at its base.

Clematis are also heavy feeders. You should feed them in the early Spring to help them gain the strength to develop their root system, their leaves, and nourish the buds that are forming. Also, I give them monthly feedings during their active growing season & when they are blooming.

If you do all these things, I think you will find that you will be more successful with growing any variety of Clematis.

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

I like fragrance and I have found that nothing takes the place ofthe pink jasmine vine. The buds are pink and the small flowers are white. You can be 10 feet away and smell it. Great fragrance for such tiny blooms.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

My favorite is wisteria......esp the double deep purple one!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

2nd is the Royal Trumpet Vine Distinctus 'Rivers.' That one blooms all summer long way into the fall! It starts out very dark and then lightens with each day. But at the same time other flowers are opening in the cluster so you end up with varying shades of purple. Very nice!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And my 3rd is the Scarlet Trumpet Vine
Distictis buccinatoria. It is hard not to love as it is aggressive and just covers itself with flower clusters! It covers a huge space fast.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And my last pick is Pink Trumpet Vine, Podranea ricasoliana. The blooms are profuse and with very delicate coloring.

Thumbnail by Kell
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Shirley, for the clematis advice! I am interested in the "hardier" varieties if you have a link or something easy. Thanks!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I've had my eye on this vine for a while- Evergreen Wisteria / Milettia Reticulata...
http://almostedenplants.com/

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Do any of you know the vine Stictocardia beraviensis Hawaii. I just bought it from Logees, but the catalog doesn't really tell very much about it. I can't find it in any of my books not even A to Z Enclopedia of Garden Plants.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Kell, your second choice Royal Trumpet Vine distinctus 'Rivers, is the 3rd choice Scarlet Trumpet Vine Distictus ( different spelling) buccinatoria, the same family. Donna Also what zone are you in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.