Rex Begonia Leaf Cutting Help!!!

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

I just got a rex begonia of some sort with red, silver and dark maroon leaves, and I was reading on leaf cuttings. I saw the page MavieRose posted and it says rex leaves can be cut in multiple places and dipped in rooting hormone??? Can someone explain this to me please... Do I cut in between veins and how big a piece do I need and it says insert cutting at angle.... how deep??? Can someone simplify this for me just a tad bit???

Katrina

one other question, new leaves or old ????

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Katrina,

i believe if not mistaken, u would plant them, like u plant african violets. check this url ... http://www.smithandhawken.com/html/resource/rsc_houseplants/rsc_house07.jhtml http://www.landspro.com/page14.htm

Mavie, am not familiar with planting african violets either :( am going to check out those links now I just need a little more detailed than that begonia site you had listed elsewhere had... I don't know if slice the leaves or cut in between veins, new or old leaves etc....

Katrina

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Katrina,

These are the instructions that I have on file from a post last year regarding Rex Begonia cuttings. I think these instructions are easy to follow.

Propagating Rex Begonias:

Using a clean, sharp knife, cut a large, healthy leaf from a mature plant.
Make small cuts, about one inch apart, across the main veins on the underside of the leaf.
Lay the leaf face up on moist potting soil; hold the leaf against the soil with small stones. Cover the pot with plastic.
Remove the plastic covering when you see new plants forming at the leaf cuts. When the plants are large enough to be handled easily, they can be separated and potted individually.

Donna

Thanks so much will try this method. Also saw the method of cutting one inch squares dusting with rooting hormone and putting in damp vermiculite in plastic baggy am going to try this too I have 2 large leaves I can use now. I looked on plants database and couldn't find a photo of this guy anywhere hopefully soon I can post a picture for all to see :)

Katrina

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Katrina
Keep us posted on how it goes. (I've been wanting to try that method myself.

Paul

will do will probably start propagation either sat or sunday it didn't say how long it takes but will keep you guys updated :)

Katrina

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Paul ... just follow the 2nd url's instruction above. it works, i've done it before with african violet. i had more than i can have with african violets LOL!

i use equal amounts of vermiculite and perlite. premoistened the mixture. draw a straight line on a 45 degree angle in the planting medium. place cut leaves with fungicide on the soil. the upper portion of the leaves leaning against top of the soil. cover with plastic. wait about 3-5 weeks, new seedling should emerge. good luck.

Ok now.... can anyone tell me somewhere I can get somemore of these beauties ???

Katrina

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Logee's has a lot of them and I think Glasshouse Works does too. Be ready to write a big check!!

Oh goodness you shouldn't have told me those sites hahah I couldn't get glasshouse works to load but did get logees and WOW I think I might order 2 for now and start with that. Have you got plants from them before??

Katrina

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I've ordered from Logees many times in the past. Love their catalogs. I used to have quite a few Rex begonias but have been growing other things lately. You will not be disappointed with Logees. Donna

I ordered 2 of them for now I got christmas something or another and fireworks to start me off we shall see how these do for me. I figure with heated greenhouse maybe I can grow some of these :)

Katrina

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

I have tried propagating 2 ways...like an african violet leaf and cut across the veins. They both grew, but the one that had a stem stuck in to the soil never did anything much...My recommendation would be to cut it and put in to a small slice in the soil and firm around the leaf. Cover with plastic to keep moisture in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.