The Squashes of Summer

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I've got a new project for this year: summer squashes.

Idea is to go beyond the typical zucchini and yellow straightneck squash and explore the myriad of shapes, colors, sizes, and tastes available.

I'm looking for suggestions to try.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Brook,
Try Costata Romanesco from Johnny's Selected Seeds and also Zephyr, a green/yellow bicolored variety. CR is an Italian variety that yields less than typical zucchini, yet has a nice firm, nutty flesh that stays firm during cooking. It is also more attractive b/c it is ribbed. Enjoy!

Lancaster, CA

Trombone Squash. Zuchetta tromboncini. Long green with white stripe squashes eaten as summer or winter squashes. Flesh is white and sweet when young gains color as the squash ages to a golden/orangey color when the outer skin forms a hard shell. I've had them get 30" in length. They trellis well.....for straighter squash, more curving if allowed to vine. Has flavor (unlike zucchini water), great for squash lovers.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Brook,

I have climbing Trombocino, it is an italian summer squash. I am sure these are the same as DSRTGDN. They have leaves as big as pumpkin leaves. They need to have lots of room to climb and do well on arches. They are wonderful when they are curved about the size of a kickball. They look like a curved trombone! They are best at 2 inches thick. We slice them and slowly cook them in olive oil and garlic. You can start them on the stove and then put them in the oven. They are great on the grill. Everyone just loves these squash. I have some extra seeds if you want them. Otherwise, I get them at Renee's Garden. I will never be without these great squashes in my garden.
I am slso looking for more varieties. My computer is running better now, so let me know about the seeds, maybe we can swap something? Jul

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

BROOK- EVERY SUMMER I GROW AN ITALIAN SQUASH CALLED CUCUZZI CARAVAZZI I GET THE SEEDS FROM HART SEEDS. THIS SQUASH TASTES LIKE REGULAR ZUCCINI BUT IF YOU LEAVE IT ON THE VINE IT WILL GROW ABOUT 4 OR 5 FEET LONG. ITS A GREAT CONVERSATION PIECE AND IT CAN BE EATEN AT ANY STAGE OF GROWTH. YOU CAN LEAVE THE VINES ON THE GROUND BUT I USUALLY LET THEM GROW UP A SIDE OF A FENCE. ENJOY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.