Help with Gopher Purge seedlings

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

These seedlings are going crazy! First I should say that I sat these here so that I could get a better picture of them. I started them off in small peat pellet things, where they sprouted out in just days of planting them! Then I took the lid off the mini greenhouse and they took off and really started growing!! I had to then plant them in a different pot, because the roots were going everywhere! I have kept them soo close to the light, I can't figure out why they are sooo tall and lanky?? These things were at least 6" tall in just days! The first leaves haven't even opened up fully yet. What should I do?? Should I plant them deeper, and maybe cover the seedlings with more soil so that only a couple of inches are showing? I was hoping to use this to hide the neighbors...but at this rate I will have to have a ton of seedlings!!
Help!

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I think I know what the condition is called but at this point I don't know just how you can correct it. They are 'leggy'. It is usually caused by plants growing very rapidly and reaching for sunlight. However these plants seem to have the condition to the extreme! I think I would just start over with new seeds and plant them outside in sunlight. Gopher Spurge aren't bushy plants anyway. They don't make a hedge. At least not here. There is a single stem with 3"-4" leaves sticking out all around it sort of like a pinwheel . If you want a shrub type plant, try castor beans. They are beautiful tropical looking plants. I have seeds if you are interested.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Actually I done the Castor beans last year, and I was hoping to get something that would come back every year. Guess I will have to start over :( I knew I should have saved some of those seeds!! :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.