Seedlings - Can I put these in outside 'greenhouse'?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all! This is the first year I've started many many seedlings using heat mats and lights. Everything going swimmingly and I'm kinda thrilled with the success so far! I purchased one of the greenhouse thingy's from Big Lots, it looks like this: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=224495

Since many of the seedlings have a nice start-I'm thinking about putting them outside in this 'greenhouse'. The days are averaging highs of 50, lows of 36 or so. We get a few days of sun a few days of heavy cloud cover...etc. What do you think? Am I pushing it? Thanks for any tips! Sue

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think the daytime temps would be fine, the GH will get hotter than that if it is in any sun. The night temps are too low for seedlings tho - I have been told that 45 is the limit for them. Maybe if you could add a small heater or lamp it would be ok. I personally think you should wait a while longer. If you don't have too many, maybe you could put them out in the daytime and bring them in the evening - lots of trouble tho.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Azalea- thank you! I guess I'm restless! Maybe I'll try a few poppies or other winter sowing candidates and see what happens!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Sue, I agree with Azalea, I think it is a bit early to put your tender seedlings out in that kind of nighttime temp. Your little greenhouse (don't know what else to call it) looks about like mine that i just got a couple of weeks ago. Does yours have a zipper for front closure. Mine does but I haven't put anything in it yet. Our nights are too cold, between 25 and 30 most nights. i have mine in the passageway between the house and garage where it onluy gets morning sun as I know it will get very hot if sun shines on it. I haven't moved my two 4 x 4 cold frames in yet. They are stored out of sun and weather except for the month or so that I use them. When I use them they are at the east end of my greenhouse where it is convenient to put plants in and to water things. Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Donna- Thank you and I am not sure about the zipper closure on the greenhouse, I decided to put it together tomorrow. Right now, it is about 40 degrees (9:00 PM) and that is the expected low. I have a lot to learn about coldframes. I do have one, that is about 4' x 2', that is in my vegetable garden. I appreciate the responses, and I realize it is too early to put the tender seedlings out. I will test some of the 'winter sowing' candidates like poppies and see how they come through. I only discovered this evening some damp off of my seedlings that are under lights.I think I overwatered. I will keep trying! For everyone who might wonder about my different set-ups with the seeds-I'm doing my first 'full scale' (over 200) of seed planting, trying to start annuals and perennials for my garden this summer. I have a seed cart with heat and lights. I'm trying to gauge when I can move the seedlings into the cold frame and start more under lights....My garden is really in it's second year of 're-birth' (LOL!)
Well, look I have hijacked this thread into something else! I do appreciate the responses and will keep full steam ahead!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That 'house' will get very hot in the sun, may fry your plants. Today our actual outside temperature was 10º. The sun was shining, At 3 PM the greenhouse showed 95.8º. We went out and turned on the exhaust fans. They ran on thermostat until 5:30 PM, when we closed them for the day.
So my advice is watch things very closly!
ßernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.