Camellia from seed??

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Is this possible?? Have you ever tried Camellia form seed? Do they need soaking? Do they need nicking/filing? I have several, and I know the plant is a slow grower but I'm not sure about the seed starting.

Brugvalley, Germany(Zone 7b)

Soak them for 24 hours and sow in torf or ph under 7 soil.
Put them outside,they need some cold temps for germination. Never let dry them out. In summer keep them as cold as possible shadow or inside. It will take three to 6 months for germination. I never sowed out but a friend told me.

Good Luck!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Ludger! Will do!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Molly - my dd father in law that died last year raised many from seed. I think you will find they may be like brugs tho and not come true to the Momma. So you may get a surprise!! Good luck!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh I love surprises!! That would be fine with me. Actually the mother plant to these seeds is a very old plant. At least 32 years old! This is the first seeds my mother has ever seen on it!! I just hope I get it to sprout and grow...This is the same plant me and my daddy planted when we first moved into our house. I was only 5! Although he has already passed away, this would be a very special plant to me :)

Wow, I wish you very much luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have such a remembering with an Cherry tree, it is more worth than silver and gold.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

If you want to be sure you have the same plant,try to root some cuttings.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

O I have thought that too. Just waiting on the right time to take the cuttings.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I would take some now, and also the new growth after the blooms are gone. Try them at all different times! I know that right now is the best time for grafting them.

Both will work !

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I am suppose to go up there this weekend, So I will take some cuttings then. Thanks ya'll!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I wonder how long it will take to make root from cutting also where to find the seeds LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.