Bay Laurel

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have some cuttings in water...what do I need to do to them to root? I am new to this progating stuff. They won't root in water, will they? That would be too easy.
Melva

Ahh they may not do too well from cuttings taken at this time of year. The best time to take the cuttings is summer when the shoots are semi-ripe (semi-hardwood cuttings). However, I'd still put them in potting soil (some dip them in rooting hormone at this stage) and keep them on a windowsill until they've rooted. I can't say how deep to put them in as you've not indicated the size of the cuttings.

Rooting cuttings in soil is just as easy as water, if you want to see the roots form, use a clear plastic pot (you can make them out of clear yoghurt pots etc). Rooting by this method also ensures that the plant forms the right roots, leave cuttings too long in water and they will be adapted to living in that environment and struggle more when they are potted up.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks,
The person that gave them to me, says if these don't work..he'll give me more. Do I take most of the leaves off, like I do with rose cuttings? I would guess they are about 12 inches. I will put them in soil. I have some sterile potting soil that is really for starting seeds, it is real fine, would that work?
Thanks for the advice.
Melva

Without seeing how the cuttings are taken I'm having to assume that they have the tips intact where the new leaves and stem grow from.

Don't take off all the leaves, leave the top two and take the rest off. If they've been in water, cut the bottom couple of inches of the cuttings at a slight angle, dip in rooting powder or gel if you want to use it and then make a hole in the compost about 2 inches deep and place the cutting inside the hole firming them in gently. If you're using rooting powder and you push the cuttings in, you will wipe off all the powder/gel. Water so the soil is just moist and keep on a windowsill or similar.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I read a tip about Bay cuttings a long time ago. Can't remember where I got it... maybe an herb magazine. It said to put the cuttings in water, changing the water frequently, until the stems develop little bumps (I guess they'd be called lenticels). It takes a while for the bumps to form... maybe 6 weeks or so. Then pot them in a sterile rooting mix. They'll send out roots much quicker that way. I tried it and it seemed to work for me. Not sure what time of year it was tho... I'm guessing late summer since I have to bring it in for the winter.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh, hey! Then, I am ahead of the game...they have been in water since right after Christmas, and I wondered what those bumps were...I'll pot them this week. I looked at them, the other day, and one seems to be making a new leaf!
Thanks for the advice...
Melva

Good catch Poppysue, I'd not heard of that before!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.