exotic seed source

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I need some advice please. I've bought seeds before for exotics, but can't remember name of the company,I've dome a search, but they weren't in the ones that came up.i'm after some hardly banana seeds, and elephant ears.Any ideas of a supplier of exotic seeds.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Chiltern Seeds do some exotics - I think they do bananas (not sure about hardly bananas though LOL)

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/banner.asp?companyid=211

Tokyo, Japan

Wait a sec here Phi -

She said "hardly banana seeds". Have you ever tried to find the seeds in a banana fruit???

;)

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

The Organic Gardening Catalogue (Chase Organics and HDRA)have an exotic seeds section. They have a "jungle banana" in their rainforest collection (together with baby papaya, emerald ebony, forest flame, paradise bird and rain tree). Don't know if it's hardy though. You can find them on-line at: www.OrganicCatalog.com

Can you get real banana seeds, though - I thought they reproduced vegetatively?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, that's what all the current hooha is about with the threat of losing our commercial bananas, grown for fruit, to disease, as they are seedless. However, there are many other species bananas which do have seed.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

thanks for the tips,have been scouring the sites,and ordered some banana seeds ( I too wondered how you could grow those tiny little specs that you see in the middle of a bananan!!)some elephant ears and something else, which my mind has temporarily forgotton ! :-( Will soon have my garden looking like a jungle...depending on the weather of course.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.