Real clay flower pots

MERCER, PA(Zone 5a)

Ever since I was a kid, I have always liked the clay flower pots (not the imitation red plastic look a likes). Does anyone know who still sells these and are they reasonable in price? Because of the weight, is the shipping cost prohibitive? I am hoping that our customers would enjoy buying their 3" and 4" perennials in this type of pots. I am hoping that it might give us a little edge over our competition. Thank You in Advance. Ron

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We actually went to Home Depot for large planters last year.
They have better prices than the wholesalers. Also you can buy just one or a hundred. We don't use clay but I know they have them. Hope this helps.
ßernie

MERCER, PA(Zone 5a)

This is great news. My biggest worry was the shipping. This way we can load up the van and save all shipping expense.
Bernie, now that I have you on the line, how in the world do you keep your gladiolas so weed free? I saw a photo in one of your threads and your rows were virtually perfect. We grow daylilies in the field and the weeds are driving us nuts. We sprayed Ornamec for the grass type weeds (this will not kill the daylilies) but only had moderate success. We mulched heavily with straw and managed to sprout oats...NO GOOD !! Please ! Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think I will also post this question in the Market Growers Forum and General Discussion.
Ron

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We plant in a trench, 8" deep, thenas soon as the spikes start we cultivate with a farm tractor as often as needed.
We actually keep burying weeds. About time of starting to flower, they are hand weeded.
ßernie

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

SILLYLILY, Wal-mart has clay pots up the wazoo. At least ours does. My friend bought a huge (20 inch) pot at HD, paid $30.00 for it. Wally World had the same thing for $17.43. It was that stuff that looks like cement but really light stuff. I don't know what it is. So, be sure and check prices. I didn't price clay pots at HD, cause I wasn't in need of them at that time. Hope this helps.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Anna Z,I do believe that HD has a meet or beat policy,If you can show where you can get something cheaper,they will beat the price by 10%,I'm not sure if it goes for the one near you,but if a large purchase in line,it might be worth looking into.

Root.

MERCER, PA(Zone 5a)

Thank you CG, Anna and Dr. Root....
Bernie, since our daylilies are perennial, I can't keep burying the weeds in the trench or the flowers will eventually be buried as well.
Anna, the light pots are the "plastic" look-a-likes that I do not want. Does Wal-Mart or HD carry the actual clay ones in small sizes (3" or 4")?
Root...thank you about the pricing info.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I think our WM has them. The small clay pots, I mean. Root, WM is 10 miles from me, HD is 50, so it behooves me to go to WM. I'll have to remember the "meet or beat" thing, tho. Might come in handy someday. :>)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Walmart and Lowes both carry them here, wm's prices are really really good on clay pots. But if you have a Gardenridge, I couldn't believe how cheap they were there!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.