Galanthus Question

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Hail Gods of Galanthus!

Here's my question:

I have 30~odd Galanthus elwesii peeking up, still short, blooms not open, leaves still in the undeveloped stage.

Over the last two days, just about 60 cms of fresh snow has fallen on them. The temperature hovers around freezing during the day and drops at night.

Could you please tell me how this will affect the plants?

Thanks for your help.

Adam.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

is that me?

just sit back and do nothing! watch carefully and you will see, as the snow melts, a little hole appear around each flower stem. the heat generated by the plant's growth will melt the snow around it.

and ... what is very interesting ... in very cold weather the snowdrops will collapse and lie down on the ground so falling snow doesnt harm the stems or leaves. they also do this when the temperature fall below freezing.

Mark not much of a god but a galanthophile

and gonna be on tv talking about said ickle white flowers

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 19th 6:32 AM

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

when are you going to be on t.v. Mark?Let us know so's we can all watch, and hang onto every word you say.

well, unfortunately it will only be on Ulster Television

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Get a wee cd copy of it Mark, then you can send parts per eMail :-D

Wintermoor

and how does a tv program get onto a CD Rom

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Ask the cameraman, or the programme producer, one of them can make you a copy, instead of the 'old-fashioned' video tapes.

Wintermoor

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

If you ask, Mark, they will likely burn a DVD (CD) for you. This is often done as a courtesy for guests appearing in media. ASK IN ADVANCE! I was given DVDs of my own rather lack~lustre media appearances by the outlets making the error of featuring my unappealing visage and useless commentary.

Adam.

PS: Thanks for the galanthus wisdom ;~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.