does anyone know how hard or easy..LOL..it is to root

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

a cutting of a wave petunia? I have one that was so special last year and gave me such joy and it is still hanging on, that I thought I might try my hand at it.

thanks

Thumbnail by Kell
Matthews, MO(Zone 6b)

What in the world are you doing out of the brug forum? Yes you can take cuttings from these, find a nice place, I would say about 3" remove all but the first few leaves, dip in a rooting hormone, moist growing medium, and keep them misted, take extra's they are a little more stubborn.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

That's good to know, the seeds are spendy! I think I'll try some cuttings, I have a plant that made it through the winter.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

oh great Tracey! THanks.

I was getting a breath of fresh air from all the drama..................LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Carena, we will have to compare notes on our progress!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Okay Kell, I'll start some this weekend!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OK Carena......so will I!! LOL If the sudden frost we have does not get them! I wonder if I should put them in my hoophouse........very high humidity ............water dripping off the ceiling............ or my dining room LOL!

Thumbnail by Kell
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Somewhere safe Kell...........and save some for me!!

"eyes"

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Carena.....ok I potted up 12 cuttings today! And put them in a plastic bag for the GH effect......... how did you do?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

ok, my wave petunia didn't look this good. so the questions begin. what did you pot it in? did you fertilize it regularly and with what? was it in direct full sun or part sun?
i want mine to look like yours this year. i love that bright pink color too.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It was in a bird bath! I have a thing for pedestals. Took me forever to find one that was deep. I used just regular potting soil but I spray with miracle grow foliar feed about every 2 weeks. They loved it.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

they did great in chairs also............. grew all the way to the ground then some!

Thumbnail by Kell
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

how many plants were in each container?
did you use potting soil from a bag?
they are incredibly beautiful. i to love the look of the birdbath and i hadn't thought of planting in it. now i can get one. i didn't want stagnent water with the woods and mosquito problems here.
thank you for answering my questions.
debi z

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree, these were great! Just one plant per container. They entertained me all summer right in to fall. I was amazed by them. I read from their site they have new and improved ones coming out this year!

Thumbnail by Kell
"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

kell, that photo of the petunias as a chair cushion is awesome! I have just the thing for that, a wicker chair from a flea market, cost $2. Great idea!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I go to outdoor antique shows all the time to look for odd containers to plant in. See the big petunia basket in the picture to the left? That is a metal laundry basket from the 40s that I line with moss and plant all the way around the sides. It ends up looking like a big ball of color.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Kell, girl, you are such an artiste, I am just drooling here.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

kell you certainly do have an artistic flair with your plants and garden and you have sold me on trying the wave petunias again.

i want my wave petunias to grow up to be like yours. :)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is a Tidal Wave Silver. One plant in a 10" basket.
ßernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Bernie, didn't this one have some purple to it? Looks so nice.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.wave-rave.com/index.cfm

check out the new colors coming

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, this picture didn't do much for the color.
This is a Ramblin Burgundy Chrome. These pictures were taken Aug. 18. They were hanging in front of this business since Memorial day. It is downtown Lake Crystal, MN
ßernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Kell, I'm going to take cuttings tonight, I dind't have a free minute to get to it over the weekend, I've been busy busy busy helping my daughter move into her first home!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Ok Carena....I will forgive you just this once.......LOL

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Have any of you seen the petunia that is lavendarish with dark veining? It has a crawling/hanging habit, I am not sure if it is a wave or not; maybe a surfinia.
Kell speaking of new colors, there are some great new colors in the million bells too.
I went to a display garden last summer not far from here that put all these various waves, million bells, diascias right into the ground and they were gorgeous color. I found this little plant called monopsis which was a blue prostrate flowering thing and it was great too.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I started about a dozen of these from short cuttings. It is so easily rooted as long as the soil is kept moist. I was really getting tired of it after a while with all the ease of propagating it.
I had a real pretty rose shaped petunia that would go on forever blooming its head off. The only thing I hate is a container. I find it too hard to keep looking nice with the humidity and heat.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh sure Windy.........rub it in that all my cuttings died!!!

LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Lenjo, I have seen that one but do not know the name. sorry!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Lenjo, that is so pretty, I don't think I've seen it before!
My wave petunias didn't make it through the winter, I have one million bells plant that did, I'm going to try to root some cuttings, wish me luck!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carena, the Walmart is Woodburn has starts of many of the various premium annuals, at least that is what they call them for $1.47 and Al's is a dollar more. They have million bells in at least two colors, some of the pretty trailing verbenas, bidens, bacopa, creeping charlie, some wave petunias. And Kell, I found the lavendar one again with the dark veining. It is called Cascadia Blue Spark by Flower Fields. They do lots of these pretty "premium annuals". I have put the word out I am looking for a chair; so I can imitate the master. LOL I thought your choice of chair was so neat too, I hope to find like an old icecream parlor chair.
Carena, waiting to hear from Pebble.

Hugs, Joann

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Chairs are great fun! You usually can get old garden chair cheap when they lose their seat........LOL...that is just how we need them. Seatless!

New York, NY

Hello everyone,

Just wondering, how many cuttings should I use in a 10inch pot.
Thanks.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

3 should be more than enough.
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.