Hazelnut

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

My Best Friend has a hazelnut tree, Corylus americana, that I would like to take starts of. Is it possible to take cuttings? If I can take cuttings, what then? Is this the right time of the year? Any help is appreciated.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Kathy Jo, is this hazelnut tree an ornamental or the regular filbert that you eat? If I look around here I might find a start for you as we have a small filbert orchard and the nuts sometimes sprout and grow. Let me look around this week and who knows what I might find. The hazelnut tree suckers terribly and I will ask my DH if I couldn't dig something up.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

oh Lenjo, that would be wonderful. The one I am interested in is not an ornamental, but the one with regular filberts. The squirrels are voracious eaters at her place and don't leave any nuts to sprout.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, my family love to eat hazelnuts. Would you want to trade a couple of small trees?
Teresa in KY

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Teresa you could also get seedlings for cheap at National Arbor Day foundation.

I thought I wanted to grow a couple since I love to eat them. Make sure you have room. I accidentally hit one with a spade it's second spring. The third year I became very concerned over the remaining one. It was not going to be contained through pruning and the trunk was already 6"+ diameter so I cut it down and it took a full year to convince it to quit sendin up suckers. They start easily from cuttings. I forgot I had stuck one in the mud on the other end of the bed. It had rooted and exploded in growth and I had to kill that one back as well. I just realized this spring that I have another to get rid of ... maybe. At least I didn't stick this right next to the house, so I may let it go. They send out great root systems too.

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I just ordered three American Hazelnuts from National Arbor and they are supposed to arrive in about a month for planting here in Fremont OH. I am planning on putting them in a row down the east side of my house. My plan is to keep some of the nuts for cooking and letting the squirreIs eat the rest. I am confused about what these plants look like though. Some pictures show them as a bush and then some show them as a tree. The bush is not attractive to me but I like the tree form. Anyone have experience training these bushes into trees? Also, only one bush will be in a mostly sunny spot, the other two will have sun on and off throughout the day. It sounds like suckering is a problem too. Does it take a lot of muscle power to keep these bushes/trees from overtaking the yard? Any information about these plants would be greatly appreciated. Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.