Needed: Help to fill a Shady Area

Mukwonago, WI(Zone 5a)

There is a large corner in our yard bordered by trees that is totally barren and in need of something hardy to fill the void. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I would be more than happy to pay for postage or to trade for seeds and will send my seed list to anyone who might be able to help.

Renee in Wisconsin (zone 4b) I think?

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi Ruby, On DG there is a forum for the Shady Garden. Perhaps you can post your question there too. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Saya

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Ruby, I moved your thread over here so that we could help you narrow down your choices on what you're looking for. Some traditional ideas would include Solomon's seal, hostas, ferns, hellebores, dicentra (bleeding heart), etc.

Here are the search results I got from the Plants Database when I searched for perennials hardy to zone 5a, suitable for partial to full shade and average soil: http://plantsdatabase.com/advanced.php?nn%5B16%5D=10&nn%5B1%5D=0&nn%5B2%5D=0&nn%5B3%5D=8&nn%5B4%5D=4&nn%5B5%5D=0&nn%5B6%5D=0&nn%5B7%5D=0&nn%5B8%5D=0&nn%5B9%5D=6&nn%5B23%5D=0&nn%5B10%5D=0&nn%5B12%5D=0&limit=50&Search.x=49&Search.y=14

You can re-run the search and vary the results by changing the parameters (taller, shorter plants, dry or moist soil requirements, etc.)

Once you get an idea of what you're seeking, you are welcome to post your "wish list" in a tradelist and/or in the plant/seed trading forums.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jan 28th 10:31 PM

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

If you feel like nursing them along, I have a ton of hosta babies that will need homes in spring. You might even be able to talk me into delivering them. I go through Mukwonago when I head north to visit my mom.

Mukwonago, WI(Zone 5a)

Thank You All. I'm still finding my way around DG's and am happy my post was re-directed to the appropriate forum. The data base has been very helpful. My next problem: Choosing what will fit where. LOL
Again...Thank You everyone for your help.
..... Renee....

Go_Vols...Did you receive the email I sent?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, ma'am I did - thank you!!! I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger, as the saying goes...but I will take a peek at it and give you a holler :)

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

HOSTA, HOSTA, and how about some HOSTA!!!!!!!

Maybe even some Coral bells or some Pulmonaria to go along with the HOSTA!!!!!!!

sue

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

sue, do you think Hostas might work?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have hosta around the base of trees, around my back deck, and along the north side of one of the garages. They love the shade and are basically care free until it is time to thin them out a bit. Sure make nice gifts for friends at that time.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Trying to help someone find plants that do well in zone 4 in a shady/sandy area. Please help!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, jasmerr---seems like there should be some good choices---maybe if you ran a search as Terry mentioned above you could come up with some ideas.

The other idea would be to start a new thread with a good description of what you want for the garden in the title and I bet that would attract a lot of interest....

Sorry I don't know enough about zone 4 to make any meaningful remarks but here's a website that might give you a start....

http://www.plantideas.com/shade/zone4.html

Have fun. t.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I've had lots of luck with hostas....maybe a little too much (I'm addicted). I heartily agree with the pulmonaria, coral bells, bleeding heart and ferns as well. I've got shade, deep shade, and really deep shade, and have had good luck with all of these. If you can keep the area well watered, ligularia is nice as well. In one area that gets a little bit of sun, my artemesia (silver mound) is doing great and the deer don't find it tasty. Astilbe are also good, but they don't like to dry out. I've also had wonderful luck with sweet woodruff. I've got an area of mostly sand, and it's proved to be a great ground cover. Nothing else I tried would grow there except for a few weeds. Sweet woodruff can be invasive, but it's very easy to pull up if it's getting away from you. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.