weed block for floor

Youngsville, NC(Zone 7b)

My greenhouse is ready to put up, but I've searched everywhere for some weed block stuff that is 12'wide. I don't need 300' of it and the smaller lengths are only 3' wide. Know anyone who will cut off a piece for me. I need a piece 12X25.

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Just a suggestion, I put down about 6" of gravel with no fabric, and weeds haven't come through it yet in 4 years. This saves you much hassle, when small tears happen on your fabric.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

mine has a plywwod floor but when we extend it it will be on the dirt. I plant to spray with vegetation killer and then lay down a large tarp. it should last qwuite some time and the blue color will be really pretty.

Youngsville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with just the gravel.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

If you have a place close to you that sells gravel and crushed stone ask if they sell it. They don't call it landscape fabric but it's the same stuff. It's black, water will go through it but weeds won't. They use it to put under the gravel when they are building new roads and also in drainage ditches. You can but it by the foot and the stuff I saw was 12 ft wide.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Carefull with those chemicals. When the suns shines and it gets hot they will vaporize & bye-bye plants. We never use any weed killers in the greenhouse!
ßernie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine has used carpet upsidedown-works great and can even be vaccumed or swept up!!!

Youngsville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks snowhermit for the suggestion. A friend of mine runs a gravel place. I'll call him first thing tomorrow. This forum is a great place to learn things from other peoples experience instead of by mistakes. I like that. Greenhouse starts to go up tomorrow and I'm sure I will have many more questions I will need help with.

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

It may be smart to put the gravel down before the GH goes up, just a thought.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My local nursery sells weed barrier fabric by the running foot. They have it on large rolls in 12' and 3' widths.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I used the 3 foot stuff and just overlapped it.....then put the gravel on it.....

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I priced the weedblock at the local nursery, it is 12 cents per sq. ft.

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

I would check with your local nursery's what we have here are 15' x 300' but we cut pieces off for customers and sell for .25/ sq ft beacue ours is proffessional with a 15 yr warranty, maybe call around and see if someone would clip ya off a piece of theres, if ya weren't so far would bring ya some :)

Katrina

Youngsville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My GH is now up and tonight we put a heater in it to see now it does. I have lots of sprouted seed in my garage in a portable seed bed with heating cable in it that I will move to the GH when I know the temps can be controlled.
By the way, how cold can small seedlings get before they get hurt? Should I put that white stuff that holds heat in over them?
As you can see, I have lots to learn!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sam's Club has landscape fabric now. 10ftX200ft for $20something.
ßernie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

im telling ya -i have sand packed down about a good 6-8inches worth and used(free)carpet upside down inside my greenhouse and it works great-and you can always find used carpet on the side of the road. My dh just brought home a brand new rug 10x10 big lot tossed out-sprayed it with purple spray paint-put it will look pretty in the greenhouse! ;] FREE FREE FREE

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Dori's right...she's got a great GH and I've taken her suggestion about the carpet and it works!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.