Thumbnail by Mitjo
Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

now it`s flowering:

Thumbnail by Mitjo

same plant, but flower is closer:

Thumbnail by Mitjo

Sarracenias seeds.......not germinated yet.

Thumbnail by Mitjo
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Wow, that is quite a collection. I just saw pictures of urn plants and pitcher plants. Are they the same?

I`m glad if you like them!
urn plants......are they like pineapple plants.....?
I`m 99% that hey aren`t same....

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I heard a botanist speak briefly on carnivorous plants and he referred to some as urn and some as pitcher but after reading a bit I think both words are used for the same plants. I thought he was saying they were different types but I was wrong. I will email him to clarify what he meant.

right!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow wow wow-they all look great! cant wait to try my hand at growing them!!!

WOWZERZ!!!!!
thanks for sharing your pics with us!

Thanks notmartha!
I wish you good luck!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Mitjo, beautiful photographs. Thank you for sharing them with us! John

Thanks!
it nice to share!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

YOu have quite a green thumb! I am still trying to locate a source for the native pinguicula to add it to my bog garden. No luck yet. I had some pink sundews I rescued from the airport last year but they didn't make it. I think I need to water my bog garden to keep it wet enough for them. It's really an overflow area for the pond when it rains--or I go to add some water and forget to turn off the hose :(

ThAnKs!
I`d love to see picture of your bog-garden..........

if this germination fast keep on I have much Droseras till spring...........are you interested to get Droseras? spring?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Great collection, mine is all nepenthes.

Your Pinguicula 'Wesser' is awesome. What a healthy looking plant! Great growing.

Mitjo, thank you for sharing your photos! What wonderful and interesting plants you have, and such success at propogating them! I look forward to seeing more, and trying my own. I think I must have one of those Nepenthes. They are the coolest plants I've ever seen.

Thank you SOOO much for posting the Nepenthes x ventrata pictures!!! I bought a huge specimen of this critter at a gardenfair last year and it had not an identification tag, but now I know its name! Yay!! Kudos on your collection, and thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

A simple question from a simple mind...is Ventrata a genus and is the plant a hybrid of Nepenthes and Ventrata? I am trying to figure out the "x" part of the name.

Joseph

He is correct the way he listed his Nep. People get lazy, myself included, and often drop the x. Ventrata is a naturally occurring hybrid of N. ventricosa and N. alata. Hence the x.

Nepenthes x ventrata (Hort. ex Fleming nom.nud.) [ventricosa*alata]

ohhhhhhh so ventrata is a composite species name! ventr[icosa][al]ata...whoa botanical taxonomy is way cool, much more so than for bugs. LOL

This message was edited Sep 16, 2005 3:17 PM

Um, what do you mean by composite species BugMan? This plant is a natural hybrid of the Nepenthaceae family. It's not a cultivar or it would be listed as N. 'Ventrata'. Are you referring to how they took bits and pieces of each straight species and combined them to create a unique hybrid name? That was sort of clever wasn't it if that's what you are referring to.

ummmm....yes. LOL in a nutshell: "ventr" from ventricosa + "ata" from alata = ventrata.

Maybe I am just too dagone analytical, forgive me... it is obvious I need to schedule an electroshock therapy session...

I heard electric shock therapy was out these days and that new and improved lobotomies were the wave of the future. How far off base am I? Silly you, sit tight and don't do anything rash just yet.

On a serious note, what do you know about Oak Wilt Disease? Maybe I better start a thread in trees and shrubs because I want to know more about the little bugger that is allegedly partially responsible and no one better than a BugMan to ask.

Equilibrium,

Oak Wilt Disease is something I know absolutely nothing about, except that it is a microbug that causes it...call your local county extension service for free help?

Joseph

Can you get me the name of the microbug? I spoke with a woody pathologist and he stated squirrels were spreading the disease from tree to tree because they need to gnaw to keep their teeth in check. Made perfect sense to me. I know the disease can also spread via the roots. The County Extension Office has only Master Gardeners there. I know this is running through Red Oaks as others appear to be resistant. That's going to be a problem for me because I have several different Red Oaks here. I hate to say it but I may be contacting animal control to decrease a little bit of the surplus Gray Squirrel population. They've really gotten out of control anyway and I haven't seen a Red Squirrel in ages.

The microbug is a fungus, Ceratocystis fagacearum (Bretz) Hunt.

Try these web sites for information:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/oakwilt/oakwilt.htm

http://www.rainbowscivance.com/oakwilt/index.asp

I know about Ceratocystis fagacearum. What is the carrier of it? I shouldn't have used the word microbug when I was looking for the actual name of the beetle. This beetle is allegedly similar to the Lesser Elm Bark Beetle. It's some sort of an Oak Beetle.

As my cat almost always used to say to me "Meow Culpa!!", I misunderstood: Nitidulid beetles (sap beetles) seem to be the vector for spread of the fungus, and there is some mention of bark beetles in some of the literature I read. Go here for a discussion:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_oakwilt/how.htm

Bingo!

And there are even more vectors.

From here-
http://cemarin.ucdavis.edu/symptoms.html

"Three beetle species, the western oak bark beetle (Pseudopityophthorus pubipennis), oak ambrosia beetle (Monarthrum scutellare), and minor oak ambrosia beetle (Monarthrum dentiger), are often found in trees that have already been infected with P. ramorum."

And oh shock of all shocks-

"The species of Phytophthora isolated from dying oaks does not match any of the 60 previously known Phytophthora species in the world. The pathogen's origins are unknown at this time. Initial results suggest that it is an introduced species to California, but more research is needed." So far it's looking like China again. Doesn't that Country fumigate anything they export to us? Remember those natural bark Christmas Trees that WalMart sold last season that they found to be infested with some sort of a borer?

Well Joseph, I may be screwed. I'm loaded with Red Oak and I've been purchasing more to plant here. Several different types of Red Oak to boot! And... drum roll please... they are all within about 50' of each other so if I get hit, this is going to spread like wildfire through the roots. Oak Wilt is in my county already. I see a few options. First and foremost, I won't be purchasing any more plants from CA that are potential hosts to Ceratocystis fagacearum and I know what they are so that's easy enough. Then I think I need to begin to systematically remove Red Oaks that would be within 75' of each other to stop the spread via the connected root systems. Use of any type of a foliar fungicide is out. I don't believe in fungicides and evidently they won't do much other than to control the symptoms anyway but I would be willing to consider injection with the cheaper Quali-Pro Propiconizole 14.3.

Well, being provided with the name of the beetle sure made my night- not.

Geesh, does it ever end? Last year I spent a few days setting up Gypsy Moth traps and then I had to keep repeatedly emptying them. Earlier in the year I went around removing Gypsy Moth egg cases. I've already been side planting replacement species of trees within 2' of every White, Green, Black, and Blue Ash (Fraxinus spp.) on this property thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis) brought to us from our most favored nation- China. EAB can't be contained and they are finally admitting it. We will lose every Ash tree from coast to coast. I'm know this will surpass Dutch Elm Disease brought to us from the Netherlands and will be far worse than Chestnut Blight also brought to us from China. Kiss your Ash trees goodbye, it's only a matter of time. Emerald Ash Borer is already in Cook County Illinois. It reached Illinois 3 years earlier than anticipated. Cook County is a hop skip and a jump from me. Here's hoping some of my replacement trees are established by the time this hits. I give it 2 years tops.

So BugMan, I'm right about the Oak Wilt aren't I? I'm in trouble here and didn't even know it. I'm so mad right about now I could spit BBs.I think I'll go and see if I can find some squirrel stew recipes.

Mitjo, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. Your Neps are beautiful. I have a few myself but mostly Highlands. I don't have the set up to grow Lowlands but I like them very much. Do you have many Nep nurseries in your Country? Where do you get your plants from? Do you trade with other growers in your Country? Just curious.

Two words: Brunswick Stew.

Graham, NC(Zone 8a)

Fried squirrel and gravy

My husband is on another computer right now checking it out. I see him shaking his head in disbelief. I've got a nice glass of wine and I'm thinking Brunswick Stew and Fried Squirrel with gravy are sounding mighty fine. Hope the kids learn to like it a lot as we might be able to have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a month straight given the number of Gray Squirrels that are around here. I don't think Oak Wilt will take the toll on Oaks as the Emerald Ash Borer will on Ash but it's going to cost us beaucoup bucks that we didn't particularly want to spend just making sure our Red Oaks are spaced the appropriate distance. .

I started a new thread over in Trees & Shrubs. Let's see what experience people out there have dealing with Oak Wilt. We're in our infancy and I'm sure new research will be coming out on a regular basis.

Back to our regularly scheduled Nepenthes programming.

Mitjo,

I was successful in rooting several cuttings of my Nepenthes x ventrata. I wanted to learn what you use as a growing medium for your plant, please? I may have to repot the mother plant since the medium is looking a bit dark and decomposed...maybe it likes it this way?

Joseph

Hi Joseph!

Nepenthes x ventrata's are really tolerant, so you don't really have to worry with them. I use of mix of pure peat, sphagnum and spruce rind, and it has worked well.

Thank you, Mitjo, wish me luck! I will have success now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.