Mini greenhouse idea

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I just came across this idea..haven't tried yet though.

You know the plastic bags with the zippers that new blankets,sheets, comforters etc. come in? Well I saw where they hadtaken a Styrofoam tray ( like what meat comes on ) and placed it inside the plastic bag ( with the zipper part on top )they then put their new little seeds or seedlings inside to grow, its like a mini greenhouse! and to release the humidity or heat you just unzip the top!! I thought this was just so darn clever!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That sounds like a great way to recycle these items!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes..I save those bags..thinking I will have a use for them someday..I have used them for storing fancy shoes and such.
I think will try this seed starting idea in March.

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA(Zone 8b)

I have also done something similar. You know those "space bags" you can buy to store things in, well they can tear and no longer be able to hold air out. So, I took a big one and cut along the bottom side opposite of the zipper side, and placed it over a tomato cage that I placed in my big tub that my lettuce grows in. When it gets very cold I zip up the top and enclose the tub and when warmer I unzip the tops to let the heat out. Just a way to recycle a space bag that I was going to throw away!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Good idea using the tomato cage to hold the bag up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.