around world contact

Enkoping, Sweden

I would loke if this forum would be moore aktiv,I want to have contact around the world.

Roger

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Roger, I also would like to have contacts around the world.
Although I live in Texas, I also am from and am regularly in Mexico.

Nice to meet you and everyone else!

Hugs, Lavanda

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Roger. I'm from Alaska, so I am geographically closer to some of my European friends than I am to my fellow U.S. citizens. I have some local native plant seeds, and others, as well, if you are interested. Send me an email if you'd like a list.

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

No denying the fact that
this intel forum has been flagged for a time.
For intel seed exchanges,i feel,
one problem is the postage is too high.
So we should have a careful study
and try to get the real native seeds,
and the plants from the seeds must have
some economic value.
Recently i get some Brusell Cabbage seeds,
and I will have it experienced in my plot next spring.
Our gardening friend Aerie,who is from Germany, does well in this.She,after carefully study,chosed Chinese Yam (Chinese Potato) as her experience.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Jianhua: Surely it is important to try to connect with gardeners with similar growing conditions so that the plants will be successful. For instance, my native plants grow in a USDA Zone 3 climate, but our soil is cool, the summers are cool (seldom above 70 degrees F.) and the season is short. At the same time, our hours of daylight are exceedingly long. If I were to trade some of my native plant seeds, they would need to have a similar home.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I don't think the postages are so bad, the letters rarely weigh over 50 g for me.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree with Weezingreens about regions...to a point... becaue some things will grow almost anywhere.

What is an outdoor tropical in some warm areas will be put
out for summer and then brought inside for the winter in colder areas. Some other plants will be houeplants and inside all the time.

I know on one forum somewhere I suggested a round-the-world round robin......I am a patient person! Someone else said
that due to the new laws in the US, it would not be possible. But for me, impossible is not in my vocabulary.

I would be willing to take the gamble if anyone else is!

Anyone interested ?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I can see that climate doesn't necessarily restrict growing all kinds of plants. If I had a heated greenhouse year 'round, there is little I couldn't grow. I was suggesting that we have better success with trading if we are successful in growing the plants for which we have traded. I wasn't allowing for the fact that most international traders are quite experienced gardeners!

I'm always happy to send seeds overseas. I think that plants and cuttings are another issue for me. I think that actual plants are considered much more serious a risk, since they can carry disease or infestation.

I've never participated in a round robin, so I don't know what it entails. Can someone enlighten me?

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I have participated in round robins, but not on this website.

Basically X number of people agree to be in it.

Someone starts it by sending a package with seeds, or whatever the items, according to the agreement among the participants.

In this instance, it will be seeds, because internationally they ARE considered more "safe" than cuttings, plants woth roots, etc.

Then, when the next person gets the package, they take out some of what they want and replace it with an equal number of items, but not usally the same items as what was already in there.

The object is to have enough selection for all to see things
which appeal to then individually, and for the last person (who was also the first) to still be able to receive things they did NOT already load in (since one supposes they put in things they already have)

The package is sent from person to person, according to the list. It is a sharing thing. It takes some time to get
sround, and it is best when each member notifies the group when they have sent it to the next person so it can be tracked.

In this case, if we have many people, I suggest one box be started and sent to the first person on the list, and another box be started, say, with the middle person on the list so you would have two boxes going around simultaneously, but arriving in distinct persons' mail.

If I have excluded anything, please help me by correcting.

Love, Lavanda

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been actively trading seeds with gardeners around the world for years. I so enjoy growing something in my garden or in my greenhouse that came from another country. And I have shared my seeds with seedpals from all over the world. I have two wonderful penpals out of this, one from Slovakia & one from Scotland. I grow tropical seeds in my greenhouse and live in zone 6b Pennsylvania so get to grow perennials & annuals outside in the summer. As far as I feel about the cost of postage, nothing outweighs the feeling of opening a package of seeds in the mail. It's like getting Christmas presents every day. Buttoneer (Pennsylvania, USA)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll second that, Buttoneer! My catalog orders have been coming in, and it is like Christmas!

Thanks, Lavanda! I've been a member of Dave's Garden for almost a year now, and I've never asked anybody what a round robin is until now! I guess I was getting it confused with the 'roundups'! A round robin sounds like fun to me, though I'm not sure how popular my seeds will be, considering they like cool weather. I think this sort of thing is likely to be successful if we consider it an adventure rather than obsess about the seeds offered.

One thing that really helps is having the botanical names for the plants included on the packages. If I have that information, I can always get more information on the internet. Also, we could include our webnames or email addresses in case anyone has a question about propagation or growing habits. Count me in!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi there, I'd love to make this forum more active and I'm always willing and ready to trade.

I've been up to my neck busy and not having time to post , even when I wanted....hope to make time and be more active here.

As you know with me, it's inverted season so I'm in the mids of summer and seeds will start to produce pretty soon.

I do have some few natives tree seeds, if anyone is interested and all those trees would make lovely Bonsais.

I have not updated my seed list yet because my garden is all flowering at present, love you all.......

cristina

Cristina, do you have any Araucaria seeds? Or Bauhinia?

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Cristina, do you have any PICRURES t show us?

Have you met Ursula ? Even on the internet?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

if any of you are interested, we have started a 'weird seed dip' meaning it's all the unique, hard to come by seeds are put in a pot, and you get things hopefully from around the world that might be hard to trade for or come by easily. International RR's could be tricky, if a large package got stuck in one country, all lose. This way, one person, one small package going and one coming back.
see the seed trading forum.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evert I do have lots of Araucaria. I do live in the area where they belong. They're real big seeds, soon we're going to have them ( these season harvest) in offer in the market.
They're edible and people do eat them. I never try them. it takes very long to cook !!!!!!!!

If you want I can send you some, even if it is only 5 , they're so big but, if they're fresh they will germinatte.

With the Bauhinias , they're from tropical places. I do live in the south , but I have a friend from the north (Chile is a long, long country),that may have some.

Lavanda, What sort of pictures are you talking about? Of the country , or flowers?....yes I do have lots of pictures, with flowers, the problem is to get the seeds!!!!! In Chile you have to collect them yourself. Gardening is only now taking off, so to speak.

Most seeds production from Chile is sold to exporters from USA and Europe. No natives seeds for the local market, so what Ursula ( yes, she is my internet friend from Chile) tells that she has to collect the seeds by herself, is very true.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Pictures of anything, people, plant or plae.

I guess I am just curious, have always been interested in South American, even though I may never make it there.

In Mexico, you must almost always collect yourself. Although here in Texas I do collect things at the supermarket which cannot be obtained otherwise.

It is very cold, I am going to bed with the cat to warm up while my husband watches the superbowl game.

Nite~nite all!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hello to Everybody!

Seed-hunting has become my favourite 'sport'. 99% of the native-plants-seeds in my list are collected in the wild, 80% of them in the Andes Mountains. Don't worry, I never 'devastate' an area. I usually go out for the whole day, just carrying a bottle of water with me which I later on refill with spring-water (tastes wonderful!). It has happened quite a few times that I find seeds that I'm unable to identify because there are no flowers & no leaves left to give me a clue. The vegetation in the mountains is quite low, so I have to bend over many times (good exercise for a cheescake-lover) which is not easy considering the height (2500 m.a.s.l. and more), my weight and my arthritis.

Anyway, when I get home I feel quite dizzy and wealthy with my seed-trasure. Cleaning, drying and packing the seeds takes some time too. For this reason, I suggest you check my list once a week to see my last updates.

www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/Ursula

All this is so much fun, although some of my friends think I'm a bit 'weird'. Others are contributing with seeds from their gardens.

Greetings from a very, very hot Santiago de Chile (over 33°C),

Ursula

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Lavanda,

yes, Cristina and I are friends (although we have not met personally yet). Cristina is a great trader and an even better friend.

Cheers,

Ursula

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Toss a dart at the map of the US,and if you get a bullseye,you might hit my place,I'm right in the middle of the US and thats one of the best thing about DG,You folks!I'd like to be on any roundrobin or trade you want to undertake,I enjoy all of your gardens and stories about your gardens,I can't wait to see my Saya spot start to bloom,and I welcome anyone else that would like to see seeds from thier country grown in my back yard,I sure would like to be able to have a piece of my Kansas backyard in say,China,India,Dubia,or even Canada.

Root

Cristina, I'd love them! I bought an araucaria (heterophylla) for Christmas, looks really nice.. I suppose yours are Araucaria araucana? It looks even prettier.

No, you don't have to go in the trouble finding the Bauhinia seeds, just thought if you have some yourself. I have got many already.

Wonder what I could send to you?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

hi all,I'm from the U.K. and have enjoyed trading with quite a few countries including Chile, China,Mexico, and of course the U.S.A. though that is a bit more hit and miss now because of the rules concerning sending seeds.most of them seem to have arrived, thatis, I've never had an e-mail asking me where something is, so I assume it's arrived safely!Shame gardeners can't rule the world, then perhaps there'd be a lot more sharing, and less squabbling over what or where belongs to who.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evert, asa the araucaria seeds make their appearance in the market,I'll eMail you and I'll send you some.

About what for trade , something may come up if it does, otherwise , we're friend so do not worry.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Lavanda, My sons are always taking photos, but they're on CD and I could find this old site that he ( the eldest one) made but he hasn't maintained it well.

http://www.geocities.com/rodrigodeplaza/fotos/html/PAGE2.HTM

If you open the links in the top, the one with windmills , that is Spain.

It opens with some photos from Chile.

Photos from my garden I'll have to find them first

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.