Mr Stripey Tomato??

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone ever hear of them?? I have a friend that is looking for them. Says she had some once, they are orange, and have ridges like a "mini" pumpkin. She says they get huge and are red and orange inside, and really tasty. She would buy them if she can find them.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

There are two tomatoes called Mr.Stripey...one has been created by the Thompson and Morgan breeders and isn't much good.The other one is the heirloom and you rolling dice as to which one you get.

I've been advising people against getting these seeds as they cause much confusion and dissapointment. The tomato in question is what we call a bi-color and there are several out there that will be much nicer for your friend.

Hillbilly,Old Flame and Pineapple are all good,although Pineapple sometimes dosen't color up like the others in my garden.Something new that I had seeds to last year was Lucky Cross.It was the result of a cross pollination with Brandywine in Craig Lehoullier's garden.The result is a wonderful bi-color with a marvelous taste.

These bi- colors are much better than Mr.Stripey,and If your friend starts tomatoes from seed,most are readilly available.(I have a few Lucky Cross)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I bought a few of these one year, and they must have been the heirloom type: they were great! Didn't grow them, tho.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks guys - someone emailed me and I have made a trade - don't know what I'll end up with but I do appreciate all the comments and advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.