Heat storage in greenhouse

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

What do you use? Rock or brick wall? barrels of water? something else?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I used to use water barrels but no more. (Needed the room for other stuff.) Now I don't "store" heat...just let the heater come on when it needs to. In your area tho Mary, you would probably benefit from some sort of heat storage unit.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

i only use an electric heater, never thought about heat storage.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

i thought about it but....no room......

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

What exactly is heat storage??? Please tell if it might help me on gas for heater would lovee to hear...

Katrina

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Heat storage is something that will hold heat. Like barrels of water (or jugs) that absorb heat during the day and give it off at nite. Or what may be called a "heat sink" or "chimney", bricks (or some other solid) that is in direct contact w/ the sun, absorbs the heat, and gives it off at nite.

So say I put in a couple of 55 gal drums full of water those will help me save gas at night?????

Katrina

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, they certainly should. Best to paint them black so they really absorb the sun's energy. Put them on the south side. When I had mine I put boards over them so I could set plants up there. That also leaves floor space between the barrels to set plants down there also.

If the barrels aren't tightly sealed you'll end up with mosquito larvae in there, so you could either use some "mosquito dunks" or float a thin layer of corn oil or the like on the surface the water.

Wow I think I will get those this weekend thanks for the tips shoe that sounds awesome as far as the boards and all...

Katrina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.