My Greenhouse

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

This greenhouse is 12X12 wood frame with two layers of 6 mil poly over it-the base is railroad ties with about 6 inches of gravel in the bottom - hubby built it -just finished about two weeks before Christmas

Thumbnail by btailoring
Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

This is the finished greenhouse

Thumbnail by btailoring
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Very nice,is it full of plants?

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

No plants yet, just dianthus I rescued from the yard last week to see if I could keep them alive till spring!Ha!
Just got the potting bench built today and have to get the drums of water in and let them heat up a couple days, then I plan to start my impatiens, maybe a couple other things

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Nice it looks alot like mine except i hooped the top, and i didn't get a real door hahah I got a 2x4 door :)

Katrina

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

One side of my glasshouse and garden room, the door is a shower-enclosure...my hubs just added to the bottom of it to extend it to human door size!!!! .....and the handle on it is very useful!!! Elaine

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

that`s wonderfull!
you got very much done per one day!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Congratulations - I know you will love it!!

Be sure you have some air space between the layers. It's that dead air space that insulates, not just the plastic. you can accomplish this by sticking blocks of bubble wrap between the layers to separate them.

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement. Plants Direct- I bought the door at a neighbors garage door for $1 and hubby cut it off top and bottom to fit!:) When I came home with it he said "Now what are you going to do with that?! Do any or all of you have a two door system (air lock) so the cold can't get in? Been thinking about if we should add that to the front-what do you think? Planted impatiens and geraniums over the weekend to germinate-we partitioned off one side for germination with the heater in there, it stays between 70-85.

What kind of heater are you using????

Katrina

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

We have a 16,000 BTU Morley Powerhouse electric heater with a fan ( no electric bill yet!:)) and a large kerosene heater for back up in case the electric goes out.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi - How's it gone with all the snow? Are things still standing for you? I'd love to have a greenhouse...Green with envy here. ;) Actually, we don't get that much sun in our yard, though in the winter there are no leaves to shade much of the yard. Hmmmmmmm......

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

GW - that sounds ideal to me - we have lots of shade trees too in the summer. You need the sun in the winter - but in the summer it can get too hot real quik. I have seen mine up to almost 100 in the winter on a sunny day. I have a small fan, but just prop the door open in the daytime because I don't have an extra power cord or way to have the fan & heater hooked up at the same time. Then in the summer - it is nice to have the shade. I don't have much in it in the summer anyway.

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi GW! The snow is better now (compared to a week ago!) we had about 23" at one time but part of it has melted off (what the rain didn't take care of Sat night!)I'm sure you're as sick of snow as I am, I hate winter even when it's a good one!:)The impatiens are doing good, have transplanted about 15 trays of them and still have gobs to go, don't know what I'm going to do with them all!!(I got carried away with the planting), I have tulips up about 6" and some easter lillies about 3",tomatoe plants about 4" (for patio tomatoes). SO far So good! Still got lots to plant!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Have a garden garage sale - you could make some good money selling plants, especially if you sold individual 4" pots of them. :) If we didn't have basement work being done this year, I was going to divide some of our perennials and sell them at a yard sale. Ah well, next year!

Are you growing any of the unusual impatiens? I bought 6-packs of two different varieties last spring - real leggy ones that needed to be pinched back - and rooted oodles of cuttings that way. Worked out great! I can't remember the varieties now, of course. They had almost a frosted, glittery look to them - very pretty.

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

I haven't seen any unusual ones, so far. This year I purchased burgundy seed, which I haven't had so far. The plan is to plant burgundy,white, and lipstick all over the front yard. I did think about African Queen (yellow) but it's a New Guinea and I don't get along very well with those, although I would really like to do the yard in yellow and red! Where did you find the glittery ones? ( I've always said I'm just like a crow, if it's glittery or shiny I like It!LOL)

Thumbnail by btailoring
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful home. It is so colourful with all the plants..sweet! I think there are some impatiens that have a sort of glisten to the petals..I had some last year. They just caught my eye at the garden centre. I am lucky to have lots of gardne centres nearby..the problem is trying to stop myself from spending too much money. LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I remembered this morning that I did put a photo of them in my journal here: http://davesgarden.com/j/si/31097/ They're called 'Stardust'.

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Those are really pretty, I'll have to see if I can find some GW !
Starzz, I have the same problem (buying too many) but this year I have to curtain that, since I'm raising so many and we have a small fortune in potting mix and seeds!:)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You know what I used last year for my seeds and cuttings? They sell it at Lowe's - I think it's Tru-Green or something like that. There's a blue bag kind and a green bag kind, and I get the green (has a slow-release fertilizer in it). They're large bags, too, I believe 2 cu. yards, maybe? And they cost under $8 each, as I recall. Great stuff! I had no damping off, and the seedlings I started in that were much more robust than those I began in a sterile peat/perlite/vermiculite mix I made up. Amazing.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, we have Stardust Impatiens this year. We bought a mix, so will get all kinds of colors. We use Sunshine # 1 mix for our plants. Works good for seed starting as well as growing on. I think the big secret of the commericals mixes is the wetting agent they put in them. This is the soil in these pots.
ßernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Those leaves look really similar to geranium leaves?? I don't think I have ever seen this type of impatients before... Will they grow in florida does anyone know?

Katrina

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ah, two different subjects. The picture is geraniums, trying to illustrate to potting soil.
Sorry I confused you, LOL
ßernie

Hahahha ok glad I am not going crazy !!! Head spinning just a wee bit here :)

Katrina

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Country Gardens-where do you get your Sunshine Mix #1? Next year I think I'll order from a greenhouse supply, this year I've bought my potting mix at Walmart and Lowe's and I've already spent around $50. and have more seeds to start!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Have you ever checked local greenhouses for big bags of perlite and vermiculite? We did that for a few years, and mixed them with peat we'd bought in a big brick. The big 3 cu' bag of perlite was only $12, and I think the vermiculite was about the same price.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ours came from L & G Products, Storm Lake, IA.
Go to Sunshine mix or Miricle Grow on Google search.
I think there are links to suppliers in your area.
You don't want to have it shipped very far, the stuff is heavy. Anohter place to look is Greenhousegrower.com.
We buy this buy the pallet, 54 bags to a pallet,(2.8 cu. ft. bag), 4 pallets so far!
ßernie

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I buy Sunshine Mix at the small local nursery here in town. There are three different mixes. I use all three, they are large compressed bags that are too heavy for me to lift. The fellow who works for me takes them out of the pickup for me. Sunshine mix is the best one I can buy within a couple hundred miles. Donna

Mason, MI

Sunshine #1 mix is my favorite, too.
I'm firing up my GH next week.
C'mon Spring! ;-)

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I live in the middle of nowhere so the closest nursey is about 40 miles, but will check next time I'm near one!:)

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Everything's coming up flowers-thought you all might like to see a few pictures!

Thumbnail by btailoring
Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Hanging baskets-I got carried away!

Thumbnail by btailoring
Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Easter Egg plants may have eggs by Easter!

Thumbnail by btailoring
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You have really done some work & looks like you've used every inch!!

Wow they are alls o beautiful! Everything is really lookign great!

Katrina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.