Lighting What do you use?

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Last winter I grew lupines under regular shop lights. I did very well for the first time. I am now changing the system -- hung two rows under a shelf and added soem tin around 3 sides to help reflect heat and light. But Now I am wondering should I pay the extra dollars and invest in full spectrum lights? Or Speciality grow lights? What do you all suggest??

Thumbnail by Happyoma
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

If your just planning to start seedlings ... stick with the flourescent lights. They'll do the trick for you. A full spectrum light light would be better if you were wintereing large plants or planning to keep your plants inside. For the short amount of time seedlings are inside the flourescent will be enough.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

A comment regarding reflectance...,

Different reflective surfaces reflect different spectrums of light. I know this point seems obvious, but sometimes bears repeating because...,

There are actually two types of photosynthesis going on simultaneously in plant metabolic pathways..., alpha and gamma. Each of these is optimized by slightly different frequencies of light (mostly concentrated in the red areas of the spectrum).

Reflectance optimization for both types of photosynthesis is obtained by using white surfaces. The marginal reduction in heat conservation caused by switching from silver to white surfaces is overcome by using white~painted metal, as is done in the vast majority of hydroponic lighting.

I hope this makes sense and doesn't seem too didactic.

;~)

Adam.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the information :) should I then paint the metal surface white for better reflection? does it matter what type of paint? I feel sily asking these questiosnzs but I am an extreme newbie to seed starting.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

There is no such thing as a silly question. The reason i know this is because i asked someone ;~)

White is white. Paint that will stick to metal (apparently some do not).

I think the difference between gloss and semi~gloss might be insignificant.

The point here is to direct the proper spectrum toward the plants. Remember, the bulbs are the primary source, and the reflectors are INDIRECT.

Hope this helps.

Happy germinating.

Adam.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Happyoma,That is one good looking setup!:)Good Luck.:}Rtdr.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

bump...

(Zone 7a)

WOW! Nice Set Up

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.