You say Cape Gooseberry, I say Tomatillo...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Not quite as easy to sing as the original "to-may-to vs. to-mah-to" version.

But seriously, they're all Physalis, right? So what's the real difference? And if there isn't much difference, how can a sweet-enough-for-pie fruit be good in salsa? I've ordered seeds for Tomatillo 'Purple' this year, and I'd like to know what to expect ;)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Go_Vols, I have grown tomatillas in the past, (sorry I can't remember what variety) and they are wonderful in salsa (which I also love). They are now easily available in a few of our local supermarkets, tho, and since mine produced way more than I needed, I, well, *gulp* buy mine now rather than grow them. *serious transgression of a gardener, right?

Lyles, TN

Vols~ I was gonna say I think there's a half-dozen different Physalis spp. Well, ipni.org lists 496 no less!(I'm assuming some of those are outdated or synonyms) I think P. peruviana is the "ground cherry" type, that is the sweet, small ones sometimes called "Cape gooseberry". The larger salsa type is....? Somebody help me out here, I didn't read all 496.

This message was edited Friday, Jan 10th 7:08 PM

Cape Gooseberry is the English English name for the small fruited, edible Physalis,Tomatillo is what we call the larger, red fruited species and cvs.

Lyles, TN

P.ixocarpa is the most often used name for "tomatillos"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.