Woke up to snow

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

been having trouble trying to find your dotty a's and e's on my computer to put into the sanakirja (at least I found out that's a dictionary or thesaurus) Do you have the same word for both then?

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

yes..........
this period is easy to translate into Finnish because everything are basic form........try philomel:

minä harrastaa kasvi, ne olla kiva koska siinä joutua tehdä homma jotta ne pysyä elossa........jos ne jättää huono hoito ne käydä huonosti.

now it`s ready........every thing is type words.......

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

It's been a very snowy day today, got about 12 cm I think. :D

The text Mitjo just write, should be like this really (those words are in the "basic form"):

Minä harrastan kasveja, ne ovat kivoja koska siinä joutuu tekemään hommia jotta ne pysyvät elossa. Jos ne jättää huonoon hoitoon niille käy huonosti.

See the difference?

hmm! Evert I believe that.....that climatic zone
come from here......few days ago here rain lot`s of snow......it was last saturday!.......paper delivery was......pretty sweaty job then!

We got lots of snow few days ago as well, the snows come from the South West usually, or over the Scands. ;)

oh......that`s then.

I'll come back and have a go at those when I have time (that's when pigs are flying, or the blue moon's out LOL)
Mind you we're likely to get a blue moon before pigs take to the air....

No, I would like to, I find languages fascinating

"that's when pigs are flying".....hmm,are that normal English proverb? I just thought that we have same kind of "jokes" but there is other variant.........like we say that when cows are flying..........and I have notice other too......: in English, I pull you leg........but in Finnish: I pull you nose.......
hahhah!

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

and raining cats and dogs, where does that one come from?

Evert

In GB our standard 2nd language lessons are terrible and many of us don't have the ADVANTAGE of being able to converse in anything other than our native English, despite the fact we have worked at learning some other language like French or German. It's you and Mitjo who are privileged to be bilingual :)

Only thing I learned in a Secondary Modern Education is that while education is a right here, good education is still very much a privilege.

We're bilingual, but what do you do with Finnish outside Finland??

Good to be able to talk to your family and friends though?
ROFLOL

Yes, that's really fun that in Finland cow's fly .....and I just love the idea of nose pulling - it's much more apt somehow!!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Once in a blue moon. I knew what blue moon meant (the second full moon in one calendar month), and that we here in California had had one in October, but decided to "google" it and found out that there was one in London in November and one in Sydney in December. So, although they happen infrequently in one particular geographical spot, they happen somewhere in the world pretty much every month. Thanks for sending me on that chase, it was an interesting bit of info. S

*G* stella. Fun isn't it?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's a cute one. I was traveling with a Polish friend and we couldn't decide which way to turn at a certain juncture. He said "we'll just play it by ears." Well, we do have two of them, now, don't we?

I`d love to speak English like you..........as, my first language................and here diffrent places people speak different dialects.........and that`s pretty funny too, in here we speak mie & sie =(I and you) but in Espoo where Evert lives they speak mä & sä =(mean same thing).....

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Mitjo, don't think there aren't different dialects in English. For instance I was recently in England and visiting a friend of my mother's who is from Lancashire. I couldn't understand one word she said for about one hour. And she was speaking exactly the same language as I was. There are hundreds of different dialects in English. Your English is just fine and will get better with practice. I understand you well enough, just don't expect me to understand any of your communications in Finnish with Evert, LOL. Trying to read your language is similar to trying to read Welsh to me, and I tried that for a month and finally just shrugged, laughed and gave up.

Evert

The ability to be able to converse in more than your own language is a bonus always, whatever those languages are. For many centuries it was Latin that was the 'universal' language, French is the diplomatic language and today the most widely spoken is English, one day it will be something else.

Mitjo

Stella is right, I can travel anywhere in the UK and not understand a word some people say depending on their dialect and just as often I'm asked to repeat myself because I've not been understood either :)

yeah........that`s right......but I have not thinking that there is so big differents....

Yes, Mitjo, here it is really mainly a question of accent and a few phrases or local names for words, whereas I think with you it sounds more like a full different dialect.

It is quite hard to understand scottish at times, even though I live near to the scottish border. The accent in glasgow for example is very strong and hard to follow. In Northumberland there is a very distinctive Northumberian dialect and can be very attractive to listen to and very nice when it is a story being told in the Northumbrian accent. Also we have our own Northumbrian pipes which is a very sweet sound unlike the dare I say screech of the Scottish Bagpipes.

are those Northumbrian pipes very tall?

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone, hola.

I am just fascinated by Europe, languages, accents,
etc.

To pull someone's leg,in English, or someone's nose,
in Finnish, translates to "poke someone's eyes in
Mexican spanish. It may be tht way in Spain too,
but I have no Spanish acquaintances to compare notes
with them.

I live in Texas, but wish I lived in Mexico.
I cant wait til hubby decides to retire so we can
live there, at least part of the time.

Meanwhile, I must console myself with traveling
there as often as is possible.

BUT if anyone needs/wants something from there,
let me know.

I have extensive friends and family there.

Love, Lavanda

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

if you want to hear strange accents at speed you gotta hear us. We are very lazy when we speak. here are a few examples

power - par
butter - bu'er
water - wa'er

Hi Lavanda and welcome, nice to see you over here :)
Thanks for the offer I expect someone will be taking you up on it
Don't spose there's much snow down Mexico way LOL

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

these text boxes are very small or is it just my computer?

I noticed that - not just you LOL
Put it down to Lavandas long details which seems to have pushed everything over

Welcome to DG and the EU forum Lavanda!

We midlanders over pronounce everything and add extra vowels with a few exceptions. We have the shortest pronounced sentance in our dialects; I A, A I? (translated; I haven't, have I?)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Snow in Mexico?????

Oh, but there is!

There are a few peaks which have snow that
NEVER melts.

The stereotype of Mexico is that it is hot,
tropical or desert, and beaches.

NOT so! There are parts as high or higher
than Denver, and to travel from here (Texas)
in summer and go to the interior of the
country is to cool off!

Lav

Was hoping you were going to say that Lavanda :)

Do you have any photos?

Welcome Lavander, how nice to travel to Mexico often. I have never been but my friend loves to go and has to endure a very long flight. Last time she was suffering from gall stones and was in agony during the flight home. Thankfully she has had a op and is OK now. She brought me back an enormous hammock and I have earmarked the trees to tie it to but I'm not sure if I'll get the time to lounge aroound, I'm very bad at relaxing as I see so many jobs that just won't wait.

Mitjo: I should have explained that the Northumbrian Small Pipes are musical instruments. My father plays them and they sound very nice. I'll search for a photo for you.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

I have "some" fotos on diskettes.

This past itme In Oct-Nov I was
there almost a week, but as far
as fotos go, it wasteh trip from hell.

I had anticipated taking many fotos,
took 40 rolls or 40 exosures with me,
but due to the heightened worldwide
security and my absent-mindedness,
they went thru the x-ray machines and
were ruined before I ever arrived IN
Mexico (unbeknownest to me)/.