Woke up to snow

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Well, it was snowing when I went to bed last night. Only an inch and not lower than -2 last night but quite pretty.

Are you sure you don't want any psilo?

Thumbnail by philomel
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

did you know that in the 80s we had a period of 30 days of snow and that was the last time we had snow that lay for a long time

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Philomel, you should see how it looks like here. If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll take you a pic.

Whoops, forgot to 'watch' this thread :o

I remember it well Mark
We had a horse a mile and a half away and had to take hay on a sledge from here! And at one point water as well as the supply on the farm froze solid
That was fun. Well it was actually, must be a masochist lol

Yes, i'd love to see a photo of your snow Evert - I'm confident it will beat this hands down, both in volume and attractiveness.

OMG my spelling!

It's only 5pm. I've just been to the town briefly and the council haven't salted the roads. The roads and pavements are frozen stone hard and are like ice rinks. It's already -6C!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cold for us for so early in the evening

This message was edited Tuesday, Jan 7th 12:08 PM

we had ugly black clouds rolling in at 4pm. I dont want snow i WANT to plant my snowies. stomping my size 10s

When's the first opportunity you're going to have to do that? It's sposed to be snowing here tomorrow, then warmer by c friday - so hope it stays unfrozen for you

I'm sposed to be standing by for building work at a bat roost at a village out in the country at 8am tomorrow
Hmmmm
May be jumping up and down in my size 4s keeping warm lol

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hey...whoopie...we have snow overhere also..and a little frost..only -7C at night. I like this better then all the moist we had, that did'nt do any good to the plants (and me). I've done my wintersowing (still not all...haha), they need the frost to shake them awake. So, now that I've had my snow I'm looking forward to spring. Life is beautifull!
:D :D :D
Saya

Happy bunny saya LOL :D

Sorry duckie, I forgot to take the pic, it was cloudy anyway so I wouldn't have gotten a good one..

It's getting warmer here, only -2 C right now! It's getting cold again for the weekend they say ......

Duckie????? Duckie!!!!! First it's auntie then it's duckie, you crazy mixed up kid :P

I shall eagerly await the promised photo

Don't you remember, you're the Duckie Aunty. ;) Mixed up kid?! :[

We'll see tomorrow

reminds me of a kinda joke we used to play

you have duckie in your your hair!

whats up duckie?

LOLOL Mark - for good luckie?

Hey, Auntie Mallardie, here is a nice wintery pic of our mailbox :)

It's a bit blue as I took it at about 16:00 after I came from school and sun was going down.

Thumbnail by Evert

Anotha very pretty (hemhem), pic, of our road.

Thumbnail by Evert

Yes, you've definitely got snow Evert! Ours is almost gone now. We were threatened with another sprinkling last night, but it hasn't happened.

Thankyou for posting the pics, it's interesting to see other peoples' worlds :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Much of our nice snow is melting. Overnight our temps went from the teens to the upper 30's F. Snow has been sliding off the roof all day. Here's a pic from a few days ago... much slushier now.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

This lady from the sunny south is made cold just looking at these pics. It's around 38 Fahrenheit here, which is fairly normal for us at night, but colder in effect because of an intermittent wind. According to some tv weather report I chanced upon last night, there is a lot of cold air headed here from Canada, and I think it might have arrived. I am on the way to a nice cool nap, but expect the sun to be out and comfortable on my shoulders tomorrow. I like my winters mild, but it does mean more trouble with insects in spring and summer. Happy to look at your snow pics, thanks.

It's so beautiful here now, sunny, no clouds and all the new snow.. :) And not too cold, and what the best - not windy.

So more water to contend with lol Weez!
The trouble comes when all that wet freezes to glass! Hope that doesn't become a problem.

Glad you can enjoy the snow by proxy Aimee, a good way if you don't like the cold that goes with it :)

You lucky thing Evert. Here it's sort of trying to melt, dull and overcast and a nasty cold wind :(

:)

I took some new pics 10 minutes ago...

Here is a part of our frontyard (the street, and mailbox are under the hill)

Thumbnail by Evert

Sun is going down again

Thumbnail by Evert
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thankyou hilomel no I do not want it!! We must the only part of the country that hasnt had any though. It is sunny and fine here - long may it continue!!

I can remember having snow real bad when I was a kid. All the kids on the block used to make enormous ice runs to skid on and all the oldies used to complain!! :( our sledges used to get regular use too. remember splitting my hand open 3 weeks running!!(always was accident prone :))

i was even born in the middle of a snow storm back in the dim and distant past :))

Those are lovely Evert thanks. You're sunset has arrived before ours of course :)

Oh well - I remember having snow real good as a kid psilo LOL
.....and snowball fights in the Brecon Beacons on my honeymoon, just never will grow up ;~/

The sun went down 45 minutes after I took the pics and it was dark at about 20 minutes after it. Not much earlier (happy for that, hahahahah)

My dad went out, cleaning our yard of snow with snowblower, don't know if there is a verb for cleaning snow in English (kolata in Finnish). Easy with the snowblower, but without it, it could take a while.. ;)

We just sorted commercials and papers with my friend, will be delivering them tomorrow, hope it's a nice sunny day then, like today.

No, we don't have a special word for snow clearing here Evert. Haven't had enough of it to clear in our history presumably.

Hope you have good weather for your deliveries :)

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

Snow is great when it is here, not so good for driving though especially when the roads haven't been gritted. The council has cut the gritting budget and only the priority roads get gritted. Last year while I was waiting for a lift, a jugonaut couldn't grip the road at the top of our bank and started sliding, very sacry. Of course I didn't wait around long when it was coming my way. Eventually he got away. That day My branch ( work for a bank) was the only one open as the staff couldn't get into work. If we had snow more often we would be more geared up to cope with it.
Further up the county in North Northumberland towards the cheviots they have been skiing which looked great fun.

Don't you use studded tyres? We do, and they salt and grit the roads. Salt is used only in the biggest roads though, and it isn't good at all to the environment.

......or the undersides of vehicles ;)

Salt the roads you must be kidding! Dont think our council have ever heard of it. We live on the main road into the estate and last year our road was like an ice rink. Cars slid into our cars causing damage and many kept getting stuck. Even dual carriage ways were regularly down to one lane because they were not gritted all winter!!

Makes you wonder why we pay our poll tax!!

Nope... Maybe you should salt your roads too ;)

Our council salted the roads during the very brief cold snap we had a while before christmas. In fact the roads wouldn't have been icy then as it stayed dry. So they rather backed the wrong horse as they didn't salt with either of the lots of snow we had in the past week. I think they've gone away to look up Murphy's Law lol (didn't give this law it's true name as it would be a shame if our thread disappeared ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Salting the roads can be its own problem. The salt sprays onto the undercarriages of the vehicles and promotes rust. We use gravel around here. However, when the frozen roads begin to warm and the water stands on top, it is like driving a boat without steering. That's the way it was yesterday. There is little you can do, since everything you put down just washes away.

Sounds like fun Weez, but rather disconcerting I imagine. OK for Tomcat though, he's used to boats......

Yes, we have drive in carwashes that do our underneaths
:-D

editing cos my smile was lopsided

This message was edited Friday, Jan 10th 5:42 PM

I hate when they spread sand on the smaller roads, where I deliver papers - I can't use my mini-ski. I could last time, when we had new snow and no sand.. today I saw the bl00dy sand-car :P

What's a mini-ski? Faster than walking I take it? Just the one?

It's a little plastic ski. Very handy. Much faster than walking. I always go to the mailbox with it, it's about 70 m away and under a hill, so you can understand why I want to use it..

we didnt get snow but did get a -7/ 19F chill last weekend which has remained in the ground for 6 days now. I cant plant my snowdrops, potted of course at the right time of year hehe, it's like a rock about 2 inches under the soil.

We had some snow Wednesday and Thursday, ground's frozen to about 1". The chickens got very excited this morning when they had their ice block tipped out and fresh water put in, they ended up pecking the ice block instead ... I sometimes think we can't do anything right! Collecting the eggs was like holding large ice cubes. Ducks are upset because we removed their pond for the duration.

hope theyve defrosted by the time I get there Mark! :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.