Increasing my Black Mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a small clump of this wonderful grass, but it's in fairly poor soil (despite my efforts to amend it, the ground is very clay-ish and under a tree, which means tree roots compete for every drop of moisture available.)

I'd like to try to get several good-sized clumps of it as quickly as possible, so I'm wondering:

a) Should I dig it up and place it in a pot with nice, loose grow mix along with bone meal (or something else)?

b) If so, should I divide this clump to start with? (It's probably no more than 2-3" in diameter now), or leave it intact?

c) When would be the best time to dig it up? Can I do it now, and put it in my GH? Or should I leave it until spring?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

GoVols, I had a little clump that I wanted to increase so I divided it into individual fans, planted them in the big cell packs(the kind that are 36 cels to a flat) and kept them in the gh. It was spring when I got the little clump, so don't know how it would do to divide it now. Be sure and don't over water it at first. The Black Mondo doesn't grow as fast as the green and is rather slow even in good potting mix.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm pretty sure this one will come true from seeds too.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, ladies :)

Susie, how long did it take to produce plantable clumps when you divided them into cells (I have lots of those "jumbo cell packs", so I may try that.

Sue, I haven't seen any seeds on this yet (it's just starting on its second season in my garden...) but I'll be on the lookout for them!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

GoVols, about a year. It's quite slow, don't give up on it. Once it gets going, you will have a nice border of Black Mondo.

Chantilly, VA(Zone 6b)

My mondo grass is a very dark green, not the blackest I have seen. Very slow to get established, but will spread after a year or more to get settled in. After 4-5 years I have gone from a puny 9 at end-of-season sale, to a healthy 45 little clumps - divided 2 or 3 times. Most Ophiopogon never bloom, so division is the only way to go, unless you are into micropropagation. I don't know if that would work for this species/clone.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

This stuff has really become expensive here!! It is now regularly $20 CAN per 1 gal pot. I've begun collecting if I see it at $l5 or less. I love it as a contrast colour/texture with pale pinks, limes, purples, silvers, oranges...I find it very slow to grow--needs a balanced 20-20-20 or fish fert. Mine does flower and seed--but I've never tried collecting the seed!! Odd 'cause I can hardly let a seed go. Thanks, I'll try it. of course--we're only talking USD $5 or 6.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.