Morning Glory tree

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I have two fuzzy seeds from a Morning Glory tree. I have no idea what the right way is to start them and don't want to mess up with no reserves.
Anyone know how to start them?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I just planted them as if they were regular morning glories and they grew. No special care. Did have to watch for mites as long as they were in the house though.

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted my seeds about 5 weeks ago. Nothing coming up yet.
Anybody know how long it should take?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I just got some seeds of MG tree (Ipomoea carnea syn. Ipomoea fistulosa) from Brasil. They sure are fuzzy. I think I'll try to remove the fur first, and then nick/scratch the seeds a bit and soak them in warm water.

Thumbnail by Evert
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I didn't nick mine, maybe that would have been a good idea. Too late now though.
Mine must be another kind, the seeds were almost black and not that fuzzy.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The seeds are black and fuzzy, but it may have been removed from the ones you received..I always leave it on and just plant them as are, some took several weeks to germinate. others quicker..
Larkie

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Larkie, do you have a seed or two left?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Where did you guys get the morning glory tree seed. i never heard of it before. Would love to try some. Maybe that would be the kind to use for bonsai. Donna

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I got mine from my favorit nursery. They have one MG tree growing on the property, but don't sell the plant.
Mine still hasn't sprouted. I'm thinking about digging them up to see what's going on.

First one sprouted in five days (yesterday)... Second one is coming up from the soil :)

Thumbnail by Evert

My seedlings are growing very well.. :)

Thumbnail by Evert
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

That looks great Evert. I dug up my seeds, could only find one. I have it soaking in water, but I have to admit I kind of forgot all about it. I have so many other things growing all over the place.
Post a photo when it flowers.
Hoppas det blir vår snart hos er.
Kerstin

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't think either of my seeds is going to make it. I'll dig them up tomorrow to see what is happening with them. Your plants look really nice Evert.

IF you try growing them again, remove the fur, nick and soak the seeds before sowing.

Kerstin, det hoppas jag också.. Ingenting blommar här ännu.

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

very nice seedlings.......they look very cute!

They're pretty big compared to my other seedlings ;)

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

yes, they are pretty big........maybe it would be good change pot....

Maybe, but then they might start growing just roots, as often happens. Maybe next week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.