Black Walnuts

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have black raspberries and tulips,walking onions,violas and tons of forsythia,lilacs and snowball bushes. I hope this helps a little

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes patty-most right under them!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty would you believe I bought a magazine called Landscape solutions last weekend and there is an article about plants that grow under and in the vicinity of walnut trees. This is the list of plant material that were suggested :-

BULBS - Snowdrops, tulips, crocus, hyacinths, daffodils and grape hyacinth.

PERENNIALS - Daylilies, hostas, coralbells, cranesbills, astilbes and bee balm.

ANNUALS - most do well, including begonias, pot marigolds, zinnias, morning flories and pansies.

TREES/SHRUBS - Japanese maples, spirea, Canadian hemlock, Korean allspice, Rose of Sharon and Tatarian honeysuckle.

Hope this helps :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty I thought you wanted info asap :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That's OK Patty...lol!! Hard to choose between the cherry and the walnut. But cherrys grow quite quickly whilst the walnut......I would probably keep the walnut!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

patty,
It seems that cherry trees do get old and die-I dont think its so much the walnut tree-when i was lil out cherry trees slowly died one branch at a time-we had no walnut trees in our yard. Now i cant even count how many walnut trees are here at my hubby's cintennial farm-they're everywhere and new babies all the time...we have a old cherry tree(young ones too)it fell over last year -the last branch and guess what its still alive_i dont know how but its still alive with cherries. Its a conversation piece for sure.
Good luck -they are terrible messy aarent they! Ive thought about having some of the larger ones cut down-but thats as far as i ever get with it!!!! ;]
dori

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Patty, here is a link to a previous thread: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/24781.html I hope this helps. If I can find the site, there is one with a bunch of info on it. Will keep looking. Julie

Ah here is the link - there is a large list of what will grow under or near the tree. http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/page18.htm

This message was edited Wednesday, May 30th 12:57 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.