Professional greenhouse

Alright, the storms today once again knocked out the glazing on our homemade greenhouse, and Trish and I are both mad as heck. This is the fourth time it's happened to us: Up on Whitinger Hill the wind picks up so high in storms that these greenhouses we're building just can't stand up to it.

This latest was a veritable fortress. The glazing was stapled to the 2x4 wall with a T50 stapler. Then the staples were covered with exterior grade clear tape, then stapled again. Lastly, every 12 inches a roofing nail was placed.

Then we repeated the process for a double-wrapping.

Well, today the wind took a third of the greenhouse's glazing off. :-( We're finished with this homemade job and we're ready to actually buy a professional greenhouse kit.

We want a nice sized one: Minimum 20'x30', fans (we're going to get an electrician to hook them up), running water, etc.

What can you tell me? Who's the company to check out? Any suggestions as we begin our search?

Dave

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Look at the site below....the first one is the one I want. Of course, I would settle for larger.
http://www.growitgreenhouses.com/commercial/prosystems/22x48_1/22x48_1.html

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That is a good price for that g-house, lantana...however the exhaust fan is too small (and you'd preferably want two of them), the heater is too small, especially in a windy area. You will also need more shutters than what they offer. Other than that, and a few other minor things, the structure is very similar to mine...2" OD pipe (only mine is completely rounded, not Gothic). Mine (which is roughly 32 X 48) is supposed to easily handle 80 mph winds, partly becuz of the arches, wind braces, and anchors, but also becuz it is rounded and tends to let the winds roll over it. (It also did very good during a two foot snow we had a few yrs back...altho I eventually went ahead and started pushing the snow load off due to "worration" on my part.) Dave, I can't remember the company who makes what I have but they are located in Sarasota, Fla...they bend the hoops for you for whatever size you want and it was fairly easy to set up, with a helper. I did have to put it on very level ground tho so it would sit correctly (Had to bring in some dumptruck loads of fill, then I rented a bobcat and leveled it myself.) I also think, if you have the time, you could install the power IN the g-house. let the power company set you up with a separate meter base (or run a separate breaker box from your office house to the g-house...everything from that meter base will be a biz expense that way.) It is very easy to run your inside power lines to the lights, fans, etc...one good book will show you the way. Same is true for the plumbing, only easier! Being a bit long-winded...email if you like.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dave, seems like Trish talked about this in the chat room recently. I suggested looking at Van Wingerden's... they are local (sorta) here, and I have seen several of their GH's, mostly commercial, and they seem to hold up well. The oldest one I saw had been up for about 15 years, up near Wolf Laurel, elev. 4500', and lots of snow. There were a few panels that had lost their seal, but not bad for 15 years! Van Wingerden's is located in Millr River, not far from the Asheville airport, and surely they have a web site.

darius: I had found their website and checked them out. They appear to be a very commercially-oriented company, with greenhouses way bigger than our budget is going to allow.

That's what my research led me to.

Dave

Yeah Karma, I'm planning to sell commercially, but not on the scale that Van Wingerden caters to.

Dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dave,
I thought you were getting new windows? That's what mine is made from - its only 12 x 16 but the windows were free and dh and i had fun putting it up window by window!!!
dori

Price, UT

i know of a couple places texas greenhouses and agri tech sorry dont have the addeys but im sure you can look them up

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.