Heating question help quick please!!!

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

I only have 1 day off a week and I really wanted to go get a heater for my greenhouse today!!! I looked at the propane ones, kerosene ones and electric ones. My greenhouse is 12'x24' with base being 4x4's and 2x4's ceiling to top of those is 8' then we drilled holes in the 2x4's at top and hooped some pvc over the top so the total height at highest point is 15-16'... I am in north florida, so I know I wouldn't need to have it running all the time. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was also thinking of running lights throughout the length of it, but would that provide enough heat? I am trying to keep it around 60deg and higher if posisble!

Katrina

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i got a small electric heater from walmart. it does work ok but mine is an 8x10 it did keep everything alive last yr when we dropped into that deep freeze. i think it kept a 50* night temp.

unless you have alot of lights they do not usually make enough heat
if you havven't looked at this thread yet it should help
http://davesgarden.com/t/368516/
also you might want to get a few electric space heater type units and set them up at a thormostat from a GH suppy place

Bonifay, FL(Zone 8a)

plantsdirect
Last year we heated a 10x12 shed with a small electric heater with 3 settings and thermastat controled with fan from wall-mart. Cost around $15.00 only used it about 5 times most of the time on low setting. The only thing to watch for is water dripping from overhead. We put ours under a plant stand worked great. Your ceiling is much higher so it may take more heat. On a real cold nite I would add a small fan to move more air.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.