Do all Morning Glories set seed pods?

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm a total novice; please bear with me ...

I started some Morning Glories (Break of Day mix = star of yelta, milky way, crimson rambler) from seed and they are setting seed pods now - but most are still green, so I'm waiting oh-so-patiently as the weather begins to turn (we had our first rain last week) ... I have collected a few that had dried/cracked, so at least I feel confident I know what's up with those.

But, we also bought an established Morning Glory plant from Home Depot - blue flowers about 3" across (Heavenly Blue, maybe?) ... and it's still eeking out a flower here and there, turning yellow/brown, but I don't see any seed pods. (All my plants are in containers, by the way. This big MG is in a 20" pot.)

Morning Glories are perennial here. Or so I hear. We rarely if ever get a "hard frost."

Then I saw someone selling seedlings of MG on eBay - stating these were annuals that didn't set seeds. Are there varieties of morning glories that DON'T set seed pods?

Thanks!
:o) Judith

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Judith - I bet your HD plant might be a Blue Dawn flower - ipomoea indica (or acuminata) They don't usually set seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.