Alyssum saxatile 'Basket of Gold'

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have a friend who would like to propagate this alyssum, but is having problems with germination. Our climate requires that plants like this must be started indoors. Instructions call for surface sowing. Any suggestions?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It re-seeds like wildfire for me. I don't think it requires cold for germination tho. Is her seed too old?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

PoppySue: It's a "he". He's a garden buddy, and he told me he got some seed while in Oregon or Washington. He collected some seed while there, so it should be fresh. He said he's tried it covered and uncovered. We have to start such things indoors here, since our season is so short. Our soil is cool most of the summer, so perennials take a long time to get up to size before wintering over.

I have to say, I've had the same problem with this alyssum. I have purchased seed twice, and it did not germinate for me either. I thought perhaps it had some special need I was not aware of.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I had to do 2 iterations before finally getting a really nice mound of saxatile to grow from seed. I remember I used Burpee seed the second (successful) time and the germination period was long like 21 days or more. I sowed it indoors in a flat of commercial seed starter and pressed the seeds into the moistened soil,covered the flat with Saran wrap and waited for germination before uncovering. Nothing real special though.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes - I don't think they need any special treatment... although I know cold won't hurt them. You could try a couple of weeks of cold treatment to see if it helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.