Hot Tub in GH?

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

DH got a wild idea. Anyone out there have info on tub in GH and effect on plants? We use BaquaSpa (no chlorine) and just wanted to see if it would be harmful for plants. Thanks .

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I don't know about setting a hot tub in a GH, but I have heard of people using their covered "Pagoda-style" hot tub enclosures as a temporary GH - each winter, they drape the sides with plastic and voila - instant GH.

So, it seems your idea might just work :)

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey Go_Vols, I have seen alot of inclosed pools & tubs in Florida and it would be a great winter getaway to hang out in the cold days of winter. Just dont want to harm the plants, If you learn anything about this I sure would be gratful so I can set my DH straight.We really only use the ot tub in winter anyway. Take Care, Suzie

why not lots of humidity and no clorine and the heat from the water has to go somewhere and heating a GH is $ every little bit helps. if i could afford a hot tub that is where i would put it

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Me too!!

"eyes"

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks you guys, I guess we can go ahead with it . cant find anything that would harm the babies. As to affording the hot tub, SIL had it removed because she didnt want to bother with it. I just thought if it quit working I could always grow water Plants in it. Sure wish I could buy one with lots of bells and whistles but I dont have $$$ This one is an old tub but would still be nice to hang in. Thanks bunches

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a great idea to me. We use our hottub as a greenhouse in the early spring. Just as I get my seedlings started inside and want to bring outside to acclimate them, I put them all on the hottub and close the doors at night and open in the daytime.
So guess I do just the opposite instead of a hottub in a greenhouse, my hottub becomes the greenhouse.
I have a picture somewhere of the entire cover buried in seedlings. Will have to look that up again. This pic was just recently taken and we will get use out of it plenty before turning it into the greenhouse again in spring.

Thumbnail by haighr
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I once housed some of my seedlings in a friend's hot tub room. It used to be a greenhouse, so it had fiberglass greenhouse material on the walls and roof. The plants loved it. There was plenty of moisture in the room, the tub added warmth at night, and, I'll bet you could really hasten germination by using the hot tub cover as a germination mat.

I've always wanted to add a hot tub room to our house with lots of lexan walls and roof, and a brick floor with a drain. Maybe I could even raise some of tropical plants, as well.

Frankford, ON(Zone 5b)

I everyone,

I am not sure how well it will work, although the hot tub does produce lots of heat and humidity the problem is that depending on the type of hot tub you have some (mine is like this) the hut tub temps are regualted alot by the room temp. If our room is chilly the hottub is cooler ( i know this sounds backwards but its true) so you will be constantly turning up or down your hottub.
We have our hottub in a special room for our reptiles and it does keep the humidity up very well, but heating not so good we actually have to keep a heater in that room. the Tubs are very insulated and you have a cover over them that keeps most heat in.
Anyways... just my thoughts on it.
Crys

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.