Some of my first moon vine blooms

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

This pretty has been blooming for about a week now. It's one of 4 that I have blooming right now that were planted in August. I think I'm going to have to plant a lot more of these, :-)

Thumbnail by FLSuncoast
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

are they an annual here in florida?

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I loved my moonvines! Nice and fragrant! This was the first time I grew them. I thought it would be nice to mix them with morning glories. Blooms in the morning and blooms at night. It kinda worked, but with the hot dry summer we had, I got ALOT of foliage, but few blooms. When the weather got cooler, like in Sept., it bloomed more. But boy, as you can see, it really took over!!!!

Thumbnail by celia
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

vredfish, I really don't know. This is the first year my DH and I have tried growing a garden and these weren't started until August. Started them from seed. They are no where near the fullness of celia's but I hope they will be. I really love them. ☺

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's another pic of my moonvine taking over the back fence!

Thumbnail by celia
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9a)

celia, are you on the roof taking that shot? LOL that is a lovely little corner garden. I sure hope my moonvines take off like that. How long have your's been growing?

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I was on a small balcony at the back of my house. I started them from seed in March. Didn't get them in the ground until the end of May! I'm not looking forward to trying to get them off the fence and arbor though!! I'm going to wait until they are dead, dead, dead before I attempt it.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Celia,
You are so right about the soil. I tried for years to start mine early in the spring here. But the soil has to be warm and a gardner told me that you need the most soil you can have to get the biggest bushes. I had nine this year and they have bloomed from July until now. Cheryl

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Celia--I have a hudge mg vine (heavenly blue) and next to it I have my moon flowers. I have worked like a dog to keep them separate. I see where you have mixed them. Are the moonflowers blooming as well as they were before they were mixed?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Celia--P.S. I have had to "prune" mine because they have outgrown the 10' trellis they are on. I just simply cut the new runners when they get out of "whack"and so far I don't see where the vine has suffered at all.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

LittleShima - That was last year! LOL I didn't plant them this year. This year I planted climbing white roses with clematis at the base of my trellis. Almost everything is dead now that the cold weather is here. I might try them (moonvine) again next year. They were quite a conversation piece. But it did take alot of work to cut down all the dead vines.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.